ASP Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingASP Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old August 28th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 71 markerdave User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 16
Question Username and Password with CDONTS

Is it possible to include a username and password when sending an email with CDONTS?

Old September 1st, 2002, 04:08 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 181 rdoekes User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 5 m 20 sec
Send a message via AIM to rdoekes Send a message via Yahoo to rdoekes
OK, what exactly are you trying to accomplish with this sending username and password?

Old September 2nd, 2002, 08:32 PM
Twenty Seven

Posts: 103 Nauman User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 h 33 m 2 sec
Reputation Power: 17
Send a message via ICQ to Nauman
Hello...

If you mean that you need the authentication for each user so that when the user enter correct username and password then he can see his emails... Then you have to use the database to store the username and passwords... and walk through it each time any user login...

Thanks...
Nauman Ahmed

Old September 2nd, 2002, 09:07 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 71 markerdave User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Thanks Nauman,

My company is trying to send a form through email and validating the email with a username and password and I was checking to see if CDONTS could handle it by itself. I'll figure out another (probably easier) way of doing it.

Old September 3rd, 2002, 03:54 PM

Posts: 5 chaliepaka User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Reputation Power: 0
Sorry, wrong object

CDONTS is used for "sessionless" email processing, by that I mean that you don't, nay cannot use or verify email accounts on a server using CDONTS. What mail server are you using? Exchange? Lotus?

Old October 11th, 2002, 10:52 AM
Contributing User

I'm back on this project.

Okay, I working on this again. We use Exchange for our mail server. It sounds like CDONTS is probably not the way to go. I have to simply email a form to an address, but our server requires authentication to send it. I am checking out JMail, but haven't come across anything yet. Any ideas?

Old October 14th, 2002, 01:44 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 114 adurstew User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 m 33 sec
Send a message via AIM to adurstew Send a message via Yahoo to adurstew
Exclamation A CDO NTS Idea

If I understand you correctly you are trying to send a username and password to a user to validate their email address.

The way I have done this in the past is to;

Have the user setup the account

username = variable
password = server set variable (can be something like using a radomize statement to get a unique id)

At that point you need to insert that information into the database along with their email address.

If the user get's their password then they will be able to login and thus their email address is verified? Right?

I do have the a couple randomize codes if you need them.

HTH,

http://madashellnc.blogspot.com

Old October 14th, 2002, 01:52 PM
Contributing User

Andrew,

Hi! That is not exactly what I am trying to do. I am trying to have a user submit a form that will send the results to me through through email. The problem is that our server requires any email that passes through it to be authenticated with a username and password in our database. From what I gather, CDONTS doesn't allow a username and password to be sent with the email message for this kind of authentication. I haven't come up with anything yet.

Old October 14th, 2002, 02:10 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 181 rdoekes User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 5 m 20 sec
Send a message via AIM to rdoekes Send a message via Yahoo to rdoekes
maybe a different approach

Hi MarkerDave,

Maybe instead of sending the form as an email, why don't you use a small database where you insert the form results into.
Other advantage is that the data is already tabulated, so you only have to run selects to get the results.

If that doesn't work or is out of scope, you can always use the power of the XMLDOM to create and append an XML document which holds the results.

Just two cents

Old October 14th, 2002, 03:17 PM
Contributing User

CDO NTS

David,

Ok, are you hosting the ASP pages on the smtp server or are you forwarding the CDO NTS to use a specific smtp server to actually send the email?

As far as I know a Win2k Sever shouldn't require authentication. BUT if you are telling the CDO NTS to send via another SMTP server or the server you are hosting off of is the SMTP server then yes you would need authentication.

As for CDO NTS supporting authentication it doesn't. But there may be work arounds; for example sending the smtp request to an external server for processing.

If that doesn't work for you their is a tool that I found that support authentication, http://www.aspemail.com/

I might be able to help further if you can indulge my questions a little.

Old October 14th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Contributing User

Andrew,

Hi! The ASP page is being hosted on the SMTP server and we have chosen to require authentication for mail to be sent from it. I just found that aspemail site and I am also looking into JMail right now. I would like to stay away from entering the information into a database because once the information being sent is read by us, it is no longer needed. I will look further into JMail and ASPEmail's stuff, but I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Old October 14th, 2002, 03:53 PM
Contributing User

Suggestions...

David,

I am guessing that you have required authentication on the smtp server to stop relaying from occuring correct? Is there a worry about that occuring or do you think that the server will be left alone?

If the server is located within a firewall or on a DMZ (demiliterized zone) then you should have worries from the outside world. Especially if you don't have an forwards going to port 25 and 110 for that specific server. ( i am assuming that you are only sending the email's to local email accounts).

At large and small companies that I have worked for I have found when using firewalls or a DMZ that I did not require the use of authentication on the CDO NTS server. Just my opion though.

Lemme what are you are going to do and if you need help with the actual processing of the asp email part. I have done alot of these things and once you get used to them (like anything) they are pretty simple.

I hope that I have been of help to you!,

Old October 15th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Contributing User

Andrew,

Hi! We did switch to requiring authentication because of relay problems. It got pretty bad and so that part cannot be changed. I just have to figure a way around it. If need be, I will consider just writing the info to a database or file, but I'd rather not. I noticed that ASPEmail does allow for usernames and passwords to be submitted with the mail, but I would rather do it myself or use another type of email component (or the database idea for that matter) than pay for it. I don't want to ask my company to pay for something that I should be able to do myself. If can do all of the email stuff except that authentication. It is starting to annoy me. Thanks for the help.

Old October 15th, 2002, 02:47 PM
Contributing User

A thought...

David,

I just had a thought, and yes it did hurt.

Can't you setup exchange to only accept smtp connections from you local domain? That would stop relaying right?

I think you will find that with some smtp configurations you maybe able to get CDO NTS to work.

HTH,

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingASP Development > Username and Password with CDONTS

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: