ASP Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingASP Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old October 7th, 2006, 12:51 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 3 Zvi User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 14 m 18 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Using Windows Authentication in Web Service

scenario:

1. I have a windows application (VB.NET) that will be used by workers who are all on a network. Each user of course, has his own username and password that he uses to log into windows on the network.

2. I have a MySql database Online that has a users table and a data table. The user table only has 3 fields, user_id, user_name, user_password.

3. I made a Web Service that will be in charge of getting data from the Online database to the users application, as well as sending new data TO the database from the users application and updating the database. (The Web Service works already. It connects to the database and displays the data in the application, but it doesn't use any authentication yet. It just displays ALL the data and users)

4. I don't want the users to have to use user names or passwords to log into the application.

Now the questions:

1. I need the Web Service to be able to detect the users WINDOWS LOGIN NAME and PASSWORD (Is this the meaning of Windows Authentication...?) and check to see if the user exists in the database. (If not, it will create a new user with his user name and password from his network login)

2. I need the webservice to know which user has opened the application so it will send him ONLY HIS data. (Of course, if I will know how to do question 1, this will be easy)

So my basic question is... What does Windows Authentication in the web.config file mean? Does this mean that the Web Service is able to read the Windows Username and Password of whom ever is calling the Web Service, and do stuff with it? (Like saving it for a new user)? If not, is there any way to do what I need in question 1, or will I HAVE to make a "registration" page and they will have to "register" themselves the first time they use the application? (I'd rather not).

Thanks!

Old November 20th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 2 AlexandreNegrao User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 h 25 m 49 sec
Reputation Power: 0
LDAP Maybe?

Hello my friend!

This scenario of yours...is it solved? If it is not, here is a piece of advice.

Search for "An Overview of Authentication and Authorization Options in ASP.NET By Nandini Venugopalan" in the aspnet.4guysfromrolla site - for Win Authentication.

Serach for this article title in the codeproject site "Authenticating Active Directory user in ASP.NET" - for the LDAP.

I think it may be helpful for you.

Please, let us know of your results

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingASP Development > Using Windows Authentication in Web Service

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: