C/C++ Help

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingC/C++ Help

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old October 14th, 2016, 03:25 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 2 olaf123 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 37 m 5 sec
Reputation Power: 0
General - C++ microcontroller/processor selection

I am having trouble selecting a microcontroller /processor for a robotics project in C++. I have a program working on my computer that is 1.5+ KLOC and relies on data in twenty other files to function, so please do not suggest I use another language. I tried translating it to C, but could not get it to work, perhaps because of the program's heavy reliance on fstream and strings. The program is about 1 MB on my computer right now and takes up 3 MB while running, so I suppose the microcontroller/processor would need either to be capable of supporting 4 MB of ram if it is von-Neumann/MHA and 1 MB of flash and 3 MB of ram for Harvard. I need PWM, SPI and UART/USART on the processor to communicate with other sensors, and I plan to use a hard drive for the other files and external ram for the program and its data. I will need at least 90 IO pins (40 IDE + 40 servos + sensors).

Summary:

>90 IO pins
PWM
SPI
UART/USART
if von-Neumann/MHA, capable of supporting >4 MB of ram
if Harvard, >1 MB program flash and >3 MB of ram
supports C++
What do you suggest? Please also provide information on how to program the processor, if possible.

So far, I have found Freescale’s i.mx25, but I am not sure how to connect this processor to my computer for programming, if it uses C++, or the details of how to turn my current Windows .exe program into a .hex compatible with this processor.

Old October 14th, 2016, 03:35 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 2 olaf123 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 37 m 5 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by olaf123
I am having trouble selecting a microcontroller /processor for a robotics project in C++. I have a program working on my computer that is 1.5+ KLOC and relies on data in twenty other files to function, so please do not suggest I use another language. I tried translating it to C, but could not get it to work, perhaps because of the program's heavy reliance on fstream and strings. The program is about 1 MB on my computer right now and takes up 3 MB while running, so I suppose the microcontroller/processor would need either to be capable of supporting 4 MB of ram if it is von-Neumann/MHA and 1 MB of flash and 3 MB of ram for Harvard. I need PWM, SPI and UART/USART on the processor to communicate with other sensors, and I plan to use a hard drive for the other files and external ram for the program and its data. I will need at least 90 IO pins (40 IDE + 40 servos + sensors).

Summary:

>90 IO pins
PWM
SPI
UART/USART
if von-Neumann/MHA, capable of supporting >4 MB of ram
if Harvard, >1 MB program flash and >3 MB of ram
supports C++
What do you suggest? Please also provide information on how to program the processor, if possible.

So far, I have found Freescale’s i.mx25, but I am not sure how to connect this processor to my computer for programming, if it uses C++, or the details of how to turn my current Windows .exe program into a .hex compatible with this processor.

I have found some microcontroller from kynix, I wonder if it is suitable.

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingC/C++ Help > General - C++ microcontroller/processor selection

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: