C/C++ Help

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingC/C++ Help

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old May 8th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 2 MuckingFedic User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 27 m 45 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Exclamation General - Error when trying to read random words from a file

Hello World!
I am currently writing a password generator in Microsoft Visual Studios 2010 Professional. The section I am having a problem with is the practical password. It is suppose to randomly read 3 words from a text file and then display it in the text box. The program will compile and run but when I hit generate I get "True True True" and not three random words. Then this warning shows up:

Warning C4800: 'char *' : forcing value to bool 'true' or 'false' (performance warning)

Can anyone help point out where I am going wrong?

Thanks!

//Code is from form1.h file. I can post the rest of the code if need be but I just included my includes and the problematic section

Code:
#pragma once
#include <cstdlib>
#include <ctime>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <cmath>
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <string>
#include <time.h>
#include <vector>
#include <fstream>

//PROBLEM SECTION START
private: System::Void button2_Click(System::Object^  sender, System::EventArgs^  e) {

//Initializing the Variables
		double word1, word2, word3;							    
		char wordone[50],wordtwo[50],wordthree[50];
		unsigned seed = time(0);							   //Resets Time for the seed

//Creating the random values
		srand(seed);
		seed = seed + (rand() % 100);
		word1 = (rand() % 34397) + 1;
		seed = seed + (rand() % 100);	   //Seed will randomize the randomize so that we have a random in our random making everything more random
		word2 = (rand() % 34397) + 1;     //This will create 3 random numbers that will then pull 3 differnt words from file
		seed = seed + (rand() % 100);
		word3 = (rand() % 34397) + 1;

std::ifstream dic1 ( "dictionary1.txt" );
		std::ifstream dic2 ( "dictionary2.txt" );  //Opening up the files      34,397 words in each file      They are the exact same
		std::ifstream dic3 ( "dictionary3.txt" );

//Loops
		for(int i=1; i <= word1; i++)
		{
			dic1 >> wordone;
		}

for(int i=1; i <= word2; i++)
		{	
			dic2 >> wordtwo;
		}

for(int i=1; i <= word3; i++)
		{
			dic3 >> wordthree;	
		}

//Where the error is occurring 
		tbprac -> Text = System::Convert::ToString(wordone) + " " + System::Convert::ToString(wordtwo) + " " + System::Convert::ToString(wordthree);

}
//PROBLEM SECTION END

Screenshot of the warnings:
http://imgur.com/rNhR5L4

Picture of the output:
http://imgur.com/LZN2VYi

Old May 14th, 2015, 01:33 AM
Contributing User

Posts: 78 Thinias User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 16 h 58 m 48 sec
Reputation Power: 8
This is a great question.

System::Convert::ToString() is a .Net function, see the documentation here: (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.convert.tostring(v=vs.110).aspx).

This entire library was built more with C# in mind than C++, and as a result it doesn't have complete support for some C++ constructs... like strings represented by char*. You are trying to access an overload for System::Convert::ToString(char* input)... but that overload doesn't exist, so you are being forced into the nearest matching neighbor.

In c++, you can do things like this:
Code:
char* pointer = NULL;
if (pointer)
{
}

This is the same concept as what's happening to you right now - you are passing in a char* (actually a char[], but that's really just a char* on the stack, with its length bound at compile time), but char* isn't a valid data type for an if statement - you need a bool. The result is that the compiler automatically interprets the above code, assuming you meant this instead:

Code:
if (pointer != NULL)
{
}

Because System::Convert::ToString(char* input) isn't a valid overload for this function, the compiler is automatically interpreting the result to match System::Convert::ToString(bool input) instead... giving you generated code that actually looks like this:

Code:
System::Convert::ToString(wordone != NULL)

Obviously, wordone != NULL will always return true in your program... so the result of mapping true to a string yields "True". Now you can see where your output is coming from .

As for how to fix it... I don't know what the data type of tbPrac->Text is, but seeing as you're using std::ifstream, I'll assume it's compatible with std::string. Maybe try something like this instead:

Code:
using std::string;
tbPrac->Text = string(wordone) + string(" ") + string(wordtwo) + string(" ") + string(wordthree);

As a footnote, this would probably all be cleaner (and more robust) if you dropped the char* (char[]) objects entirely and used std::string from the beginning:

Code:
using std::string;
// use std::string instead of char[50]
string wordone, wordtwo, wordthree;
// all of the file reading code stays the same, but now you read from the std::ifstreams directly into std::string objects instead.  this way you don't have to worry about buffer overflow if the word happened to be greater than 49 characters.
// because you're already using std::string objects, you don't need to manually convert your char arrays to std::strings during the concatenation.
tbPrac->Text = wordone + " " + wordtwo + " " + wordthree;

Good luck!
-Thinias

Last edited by Thinias : May 14th, 2015 at 02:13 AM.

Old May 14th, 2015, 10:15 AM

Posts: 2 MuckingFedic User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 27 m 45 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Thumbs up

Wow. Thank you. I just got an answer to this question on another forum today too but yours is a 100x more in depth. I really appreciate you taking your time writing this out for me. I actually understand what is going on now.

As for the solution, the guy in the other forum had me do something else. I'll post his solution as soon as I get to a desktop.

Thank You Bud So Much.
You're an amazing human ♡

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingC/C++ Help > General - Error when trying to read random words from a file

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: