Cold Fusion Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingCold Fusion Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old March 30th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 2 andyross94928 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Problem with cold fusion component as web service

I am currently developing a component to be used as a web service that I am going to be calling from a Java Applet.

I have been running into some perplexing and frustrating issue that I hope someone can help me with.

When I create components normally and invoke them from with cold fusion pages run on the server they work correctly.
I can create instances of other components inside of components, I can return instances of components from methods,
and pass instances to methods of components.

However, when I run a component as a web service I get errors because either AXIS or the cold fusion server cannot
find the other component types that I try to create from within my service. I seem to be able to create a component if it resides in the
same directory as the service component, but not if it resides somewhere else.

I am trying to return an array of component objects from my web service

I have a normal package structure defined for my components: ie. com.mycompany.blah.componentName, etc...

What is the correct placement of component files in the directory hierarchy?
Currently, all of our cold fusion files reside outside of the web directory and are accessed using web server virtual directories and
mappings in the cold fusion mx server itself. Is there any problem using components outside of the web directory like this?

As I mentioned, creating components works fine when instantiating them from a cold fusion page, just not as a web service.

If anyone has any ansight into this, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance,
Andy

Old March 31st, 2004, 10:30 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 2 andyross94928 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 0
I think I have found the answer...

Just because I hate when people post a question, and then don't post the solution
that they find, here is what I have found.

From the Macromedia known issues page...

http://www.macromedia.com/support/coldfusion/releasenotes/mx/mx61_known_problems.html#webservices
Web services

If you call local components within components that are declared as web services, the mappings set in the ColdFusion MX Administrator are ignored. To work around this problem, create a virtual directory for the folder with the mapping. For example, edit the jrun-web.xml file and create a mapping with the same data as the ColdFusion mapping, such as the following:

<virtual-mapping>
<resource-path>/ib_components</resource-path>
<system-path>/mnt/www/components/</system-path>
</virtual-mapping>

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingCold Fusion Development > Problem with cold fusion component as web service

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: