Database Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsDatabasesDatabase Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old July 8th, 2005, 07:27 PM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 1 Spyder_Snyper User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 2 m 3 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Exclamation Database Development

Well... I've got a plan for a database driven app that I want to make. A "pet project" if you will. It'll be like a DND Character sheet. Only it'll actually contain a lot of things like a complete inventory of items, spells, weapons, etc...

Anyways... So far, I've got the basics and some of the fundamentals down pat. There's only one issue I've encountered.

The app needs to ba database driven. I've made that much pretty clear. Sadly, I only know how to use 2 databases. Access and MySQL. In both cases, if I were to make the app using one of these, you would need either Access or MySQL ALREADY installed for them to work.

What I want to do is this: I want the user to download and install ONE app. Not many. I want my app to be self-sufficient.

Now... Would I have to make my own style of database? Or is there some way to use an existing database (like Access or MySQL, but not necessarily one of them) and have it embedded into MY app?

Old January 11th, 2011, 01:48 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 3 fdtoo User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 21 m 38 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Accounting Database Design Template

I am putting my suggestion here although this an old thread, in anticipation of someone looking for some feedback on this particular issue.

The decision whether to use Access or MySQL to deply your app depends on your choice of front-end. If you prefer to deploy your package as one setup file, choose Foxpro or FileMaker. But, to me, i prefer to have a separate DBMS for database driven app, as the client/server approach is still the best in terms of scalability and future enhancement.

Since you know MySQL, you may port it to PHP. Access, well, they are already a standalone application (with GUI and database bundled). However, access lacks scalability and security. If you select access, i suggest you scale up your database to SQL Server platform. SQL Server provides greater control and data manipulation (sprocs and triggers), plus there are bundled with powerful reporting tools.

If you are building a database that touches on inventory, there is an existing database template which i think you can try it out. The template is documented in a book located at
accountingdes.com

All the Best

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsDatabasesDatabase Development > Database Development

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: