Database Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsDatabasesDatabase Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old January 20th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 1 jmayoff User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 18 m 22 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Trying to get info from proprietary database (I think)

I'm probably not asking this in the right place, but I was at least hoping you could direct me to the right place.

Here's a summary of my problem:

* Our company's old software had a large database of contacts in it.
* We switched to a new program and have no way to easily transfer those contacts to it.
* The contacts database appears to have 4 files which can all be opened in Excel, but not access. The four files contain the following:

*** File 1: A nicely formatted spreadsheet of names and some other BASIC info for each contact. There is an ID number on each one, but the numbers do not seem to correspond to anything in the File 2.
*** File 2: Info on each contact, but not in rows. Instead it looks something like this :

Code:
JHGH_CONTACT_BLOB: 1426367745				
EMAIL: SMITH				
WEB: 				
PHONE_COUNT: 1				
FAX_COUNT: 0				
ADDRESS_COUNT: 0				
NOTE_COUNT: 0				

555-7364

(I changed some info for privacy reasons)

Each blob of info is on a separate spreadsheet row. Each starts off with the same first line, even the number is the same, so it can't be some sort of ID number.

*** File 3: A file containing a lot of gobbledygook, interspersed with a few readable bits of text here and there. The readable text looks like it belongs to the database (ie, it is info on contacts like place of work and other notes.)
*** File 4: Contains one row and one column labeled ID, with the number 12725 in it.

I need to somehow get the info from File 2, into the nicely formatted file 1. In essence, I need to add the phone numbers, emails etc included in a messy fashion in file 2 on their proper rows in file 1.

This probably makes little sense and I thank you for even reading down this far. If you have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsDatabasesDatabase Development > Trying to get info from proprietary database (I think)

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: