General Programming Help

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingGeneral Programming Help

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old August 19th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 34 Emily0415 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 3 h 22 m 10 sec
Reputation Power: 9
DreamWeaver: How to create a template(?)

Let's say that I want to create a very basic website that has five pages or so. All pages have the same header, footer and navigation. Obviously, it's very inefficient to create these in all pages page by page. Does DreamWeaver have a feature to create a ... template? What I want to do is to create common components like header, footer and navigation just once. Also if and when I modify them, I want all other pages to be updated automatically. Can this be done using DreamWeaver?

Old September 4th, 2013, 02:36 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 2 Hiya Thomas User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 h 15 m 51 sec
Reputation Power: 0
When your website has a lot of pages and you want them to share certain design features, you can create and apply a template to them. If you have a group of pages with an applied template to it, you can change the information of the group by editing the template and then reapplying it to those pages. You can do that while keeping the unique element of each page unchanged.

Define your site and create a page which will be used to create your template.

Once you finish select File -> Save as template. A small window will pop up. Choose the site for which you want to create this template and type the name of the template to be saved with.

Now you have to create an editable region in your template. These regions are placeholders for content that is unique for each page the template is applied to.

Select Insert -> Template Objects -> Editable Regions:

Type the region name in the pop-up window:

Now you have a template with an editable region in it. You have to apply this template to a page. Open an existing page to apply the template to it. Select Modify -> Templates -> Apply Template to Page.

Choose the template that you want to apply to your page and click on the Select button:

On the Inconsistent Region Names window choose template region and click on "Use for all" button. Then click on OK.

Your page is now the same as the template with its components placed in the editable region. You can now save it.

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingGeneral Programming Help > DreamWeaver: How to create a template(?)

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: