General Programming Help

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingGeneral Programming Help

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old March 9th, 2004, 01:41 PM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 24 salvelinus User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 0
$HTTP_POST_VARS losing values

Yes, I know I should use $_POST, but I didn't write the program, just modifying it some.
I have a functions.php file that includes a function to set starting and ending dates. These values are then put into $HTTP_POST_VARS.
When I run a print_r($HTTP_POST_VARS) right after setting the values, they print out correctly. But when I run a print_r on the next page, a different php file, they're gone (although others are there).
Why aren't they being sent to the next page? Thanks.
Oh, and register_globals is turned on.
PHP Code:
//this prints out
else
    {

$HTTP_POST_VARS['startdate-month'] = (date("m",mktime(000112000)));

$HTTP_POST_VARS['startdate-date'] = (date("d",mktime(000112000)));

$HTTP_POST_VARS['startdate-year'] = (date("Y",mktime(000112000)));

$today getdate();

$HTTP_POST_VARS['enddate-month'] = (date("m"mktime(000$today["mon"], $today["mday"], $today["year"])));

$HTTP_POST_VARS['enddate-date'] = (date("d"mktime(000$today["mon"], $today["mday"], $today["year"])));

$HTTP_POST_VARS['enddate-year'] = (date("Y"mktime(000$today["mon"], $today["mday"], $today["year"])));

print_r ($HTTP_POST_VARS);
    }
/* prints Array ( [user] => sample [pass] => [tablename] => sample [client] => N [startdate-month] => 01 [startdate-date] => 01 [startdate-year] => 2000 [enddate-month] => 03 [enddate-date] => 09 [enddate-year] => 2004 ) */
/* print_r on next page prints Array ( [categoryid] => All Patients [survey_question] => 9 [getcomments] => Get Comments [patcomments] => [user] => SAMPLE [pass] => [sessid] => 10 [tablename] => sample ) 
*/ 

Old March 9th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Posts: 1,355 dhouston User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Reputation Power: 16
Send a message via ICQ to dhouston
Is the second page included or is it called through a separate request? If it's a separate request, there's your problem -- post vars aren't persistent; they're valid only for a given request.

Old March 9th, 2004, 04:44 PM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 24 salvelinus User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Reputation Power: 0
Hmm...
Ok, the first page is an html login page. This takes the user to index.php, which includes the file functions.php (which are just a group of functions).
index.php calls one of the functions, say funcA, in functions.php, which then calls other functions in the same file. One of these set up several select boxes to pick dates. But for one category of client, I don't want to show the select boxes, even though I need default date values. So I decided that for that category of client, I'd just skip the function that allowed date selection and give default values (these are the post variables).
funcA calls form action="report.php" method="POST, then either calls the date function or I give it default values.
Other functions are called from report.php, which also href to some other .php files.
It works if I set the post variables in report.php, which I can understand, but how do the post variables normally get set from the date selection function? They're the same post variables.
When I set the post vars in funcA, they don't get transferred to report.php or at least to the other .php files. So how does the select box function make them available? It just creates and populates them.
This would be a lot easier in VB. One annoying/confusing element is these are mostly all php files that also create the html, rather than php embeded in html.

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingGeneral Programming Help > $HTTP_POST_VARS losing values

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: