Java Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJava Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old November 29th, 2008, 04:58 PM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 86 paulscode User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 13 h 18 m 37 sec
Reputation Power: 11
I did some work on the Map Maker today. I finished the toolbars for camera navigation and texture selection. This program is starting to look kind of cool. Here's a link:

http://www.paulscode.com/games/Robo...aker/29NOV2008/

Old November 30th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Contributing User

http://www.paulscode.com/games/Robo...aker/30NOV2008/

Today I did some more work on the Map Maker. Changes include:

1) The code for selecting map cells is complete. Cells can be selected one at a time or multiple at a time while holding down "Control". It is also possible to "drag-select" with the mouse.

2) I made it so that if any cells are selected, the paint tool will automatically fill them with whatever texture I pick. This should save me a lot of time when I eventually start making maps for the game.

3) I made it so right-click always acts like the select tool, so I won't have to keep switching back and forth between tools.

4) I added in a visible wireframe that I can turn on or off from the Options toolbar. This helps to distinguish one cell from the next.

5) The "Save" button in the options toolbar works nicely. The "Load" function, however, isn't finished.

6) I added in buttons for "Select by cell", "Select by map", and "Free select". The later two will be implemented later after I add in the ability to load more than one adjacent maps at a time.

Old February 1st, 2009, 07:39 PM
Contributing User

Sound System MIDI Fixes

A new version of my Sound System library is out today.

JARS:

Sound System jPCT (Download Source Code)

Sound System (Download Source Code)

Sound System Small (Download Source Code)

Other:

Demo Applet

JavaDoc

PDF Tutorial

What's new?

- Corrected the delay problem that was happening when playing sound effects with the Java Sound library while MIDI was playing. This fix also eliminated the need for SoundSystemResources.jar, which significantly reduces the memory footprint required to play MIDI in applets.
- Removed the MidiThread class (a work-around that is no longer needed).
- Added support for MIDI into the small version of sound system.
- Made a few changes to the PDF tutorial document.

Old March 31st, 2009, 02:10 PM
Contributing User

Sound System, major updates

I made some significant changes to my 3D sound library.

Downloads:

Sound System Core Version date: April 9, 2009
The core SoundSystem library, independent from any 3rd-party 3D engines, sound libraries, or codec libraries. It is stripped down to the bare essentials, and designed to be easily customizable with various sound library and codec pluggins. If memory is a concern (such as in an applet) this may be a good option, because it allows you to choose as many or as few pluggins as you require for your project. NOTE: The core SoundSystem library without any pluggins is only capable of playing MIDI files. Additional pluggins should be added for more capabilities. The source code and license are included in the .zip file.

Sound System jPCT Version date: April 9, 2009
The jPCT-friendly 3D sound library. The SoundSystemJPCT class overrides the core SoundSystem libray, and provides a number of methods to make adding 3D sound to any project using the jPCT 3D engine easy. It includeds methods for binding Listener to Camera and Sources to Object3Ds, as well as using SimpleVector parameters. SoundSystemJPCT utilizes the LWJGL binding of OpenAL (with JavaSound as a backup option), the J-Ogg codec for .ogg support, and the Wav codec for .wav support. NOTE: The core SoundSystem library, source code, and all relevant licenses are included in the .zip file.

Pluggins:

JavaSound library pluggin Version date: April 9, 2009
Interface to the Java Sound API. More compatable than OpenAL, but not as good quality. Known bug: quickPlaying sounds will begin playing at full volume for a split second, before switching to the correct volume. This is a bug with the Java Sound API itself. An easy workaround is to add 0.02 seconds of silence to the beginning of each sound effect (the Audacity sound editor works well for this).

LWJGL OpenAL library pluggin Version date: April 9, 2009
Interface to the LWJGL binding of OpenAL. This library sounds much better than Java Sound, but is not as compatable. I recommend using the JavaSound library pluggin as a backup option. NOTE: Please read the included LWJGL license.

WAV codec pluggin Version date: April 9, 2009
Adds support for .wav files.

JOgg codec pluggin Version date: April 9, 2009
Adds support for .ogg files using the J-Ogg library. This codec is less compatible than the JOrbis codec, but the license is less restrictive. Sometimes running incompatable .ogg files through a converter will make them compatable. NOTE: Please read the included JOgg license.

JOrbis codec pluggin Version date: April 9, 2009
Adds support for .ogg files using the JOrbis library. More compatible than the JOgg codec, but reads data more slowly (it may not be possible to stream more than one file simultaneously when using this codec). This pluggin is licensed by the LGPL. NOTE: Please read the included LGPL document.

Documentation:

JavaDoc Version date: April 9, 2009
Also includes the JavaDocs for SoundSystemJPCT and all library and codec pluggins.

3D Sound with SoundSystem PDF (download the example programs)
A tutorial-style guide to using the core SoundSystem library (last updated: March 29, 2009).

Demos:

Sound Effects Player (download the Source Code)
Demonstrates library switching on the fly, streaming background music, playing MIDI, and playing multiple sources simultaneously.

What's new?

Added new transition methods for MIDI and streaming sources with the ability to queue next sounds and create fade in/out effects.
Created a new stripped-down customizable core SoundSystem library
Added a codec and library pluggin infrastructure, allowing the user to choose which sound libraries and codecs to use.

Last edited by paulscode : April 9th, 2009 at 08:44 PM.

Old April 9th, 2009, 08:42 PM
Contributing User

I made a few minor fixes to the Sound Library. The above links are still the same.

- Fixed problem with second constructor for SoundSystem class where derived classes would not automatically load their default libraries and codecs.
- Removed all refrences to "println" and "printStackTrace" from the codec classes. Using the logger to handle all messages instead.
- Corrected four potential "null pointer exception" lines in the LibraryJavaSound and LibraryLWJGLOpenAL classes.

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJava Development > 3D Browser-based Game Development

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: