Java Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJava Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old May 5th, 2005, 07:49 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 3 calimero User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 33 m 20 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Java or C, C+, C#

Hello, my fist post here

I've programmed in php, mysql, javascript.

Now I want to expand my knowledge to be able to create applications for Win O.S. and also for connecting with my web-server ( either these applications are on the server or client side (like mail server, cgi, using ports ...).

Digged for some info - but it is very scarse and insufficient.

My question is:
To what extent can Java be used in these ways ( or if someone has link to some good text about what Java can do )

I also thought of learning C/C++/C#, but am not sure what each of these 3 do.

So basicaly - I'm a total noob in this segment - so any introductory info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Ahead !

Old May 5th, 2005, 09:06 AM
I'm Internet Famous
Dev Articles Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Posts: 2,886 MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Week 16 h 19 m 35 sec
Reputation Power: 18
What type of interaction with your web server are you hoping for?

Some other key factors depend on your previous knowledge of other languages, cost involved, and current set up of your servers.

Old May 7th, 2005, 06:20 PM

Well basicaly - I dont know a lots of those things - only that platform would be Win32 and when I see more about the coding languagues them self-es, I would know where and how to go.

So what would you recomend me ( that will pay out in the future for my knowledge ) - go just for Java and build a little app's or go into C family and master every bit of your machine ?

Old May 9th, 2005, 09:27 AM
I'm Internet Famous

Posts: 2,886 MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level) 
First, I urge you to wade through my own biases and form an opinion on your own... [/disclaimer]

Programming like driving a car... what's the best car?
Depends where you want to drive, how fast, how many people you want to take with you.
The fact is, when you know how to drive well, it doesn't matter which car you drive.

Java is interoperable... meaning you aren't restricted to one operating system [or compiler]...
Java has also evolved into a web language...
Java won't be easy when it comes to interacting with environment settings and machine specific stuff...

Again, I think it all comes down to your previous knowledge, and where you expect ot be in the future...
If internet development is your future, I would recommend Java... or even a less-complex language like PHP...
Microsoft's ASP.NET is also a web language, but that limits you to only Windows machines and an often costly maintenence fee...

Nonetheless, learning one language makes learning another easier...
Figure out the basic theory behind Object Oriented and MVC design first... the languages are simply ways to produce that.

Old May 10th, 2005, 03:06 AM

PHP I know well, the idea I had was to expand my knowledge into both similar areas or in some new WIN32 app development

Just if you could: what is MVC, I know what OOP is.

I've been on the sun's site to download JAVA, but there are 3 options, can you tell me what to download - I didn't found documentation to help me distinguish what to choose.

I've basicaly don't know what each of those 3 packets do, so what do I need to start coding in Java.

Thanks Ahead !

Old May 10th, 2005, 09:20 AM
I'm Internet Famous

MVC is often used in the web-world.
It stands for Model-View-Controller...

It's a design architecture that seperates your database from your presentation screen from your program logic.

A lot of .NET and J2EE revolves around the idea of MVC and seperation of "layers"

It's cool that you have an idea around basic programming, and you sound like you have experience with OOP and programming.
If it's windows applications you want to make specifically, you might want to go with .NET
Java is a little limited in it's calls to the operating system, since Java is cross-platform.
However, Java is cross-platform... which means your programs usually work in Windows, Unix, Mac, and others...

Old May 11th, 2005, 12:03 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 34 dejaone User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 2 h 47 m 11 sec
Reputation Power: 13
install a Java application which will take care of it. try JRun, WebLogic or Websphere

Old May 14th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Contributing User

Posts: 118 gertcuppens User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 17 h 28 m 17 sec
Reputation Power: 14
If you want to develop a web application in java, you will need the following things :
Java 2 SDK : 1.4 or 1.5 (or 5.0 also called "tiger"); with 1.5 you will have the newest
options of the java language, but 1.4 is still very widely used.
Tomcat : the free downloadable web server from apache.org
MySQL : if you want to get your information out of a database; can be downloaded for free
Java IDE : try JCreator or Eclipse. JCreator is an IDE easier to use than Eclipse, but Eclipse has the
advantage that you can look for plugins to edit JSP's, to create UML schemes.

Old May 14th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Contributing User

Posts: 118 gertcuppens User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 17 h 28 m 17 sec
Reputation Power: 14
I'll add an overview of the components of the Model View Controller design pattern.
- Model : these are the javabeans with their properties and methods (the getters, setters and constructors).
The javabeans correspond to the concepts the users of your web application will use.
For example, if your web application sells products, you will certainly have the following java beans :
product, customer, order, invoice. You could say that this is the heart of the business layer.
- View : these are the java server pages (JSP's). The JSP's only take care of the presentation of the data.
Therefor you can call this the presentation layer.
- Controller : this is the very heart of the application. Since a web application works with request - response,
there must be a program able to catch every request and to formulate a response on it. This is the controller or servlet.

I've been comparing the MVC model to the 3 layers : so far, I've compared the model to the business layer
and the view to the presentation layer. For the controller, there seems to be no corresponding layer.
And then there is a layer, which isn't mentioned in the 3 letters of the MVC.
But there is a corresponding object, namely the DAO or Data Access Object.
This kind of object connects to the database and makes javabeans out of the information obtained from
the database.

In conclusion : we have the following division of objects :
- model - business layer : javabeans
- view - presentation layer : JSP's
- controller - ??? layer : servlets
- ??? - data layer : DAO's

Old June 14th, 2005, 10:42 PM

Posts: 2 cnarramoore User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 35 m 8 sec
Observations

I am going thur the ITT Tech programming degree. Pretty much what I have seen is that Java and C++ are very very close in how it is written. So if you learn to use C++ you can easily pick up java or the other way around.

They keep it pretty basic and dont cover .NET yet but from what I have seen I would have perfered to start with Java and move to the .NET versions of VB and C++.

Just my 2 cents.

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJava Development > Java or C, C+, C#

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: