JavaScript Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJavaScript Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old June 30th, 2004, 11:03 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 1 Dipak User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Question Deactivate pop-up blocker

I have one issue regarding pop-up blocker. Pop-up blocker won't allow opening a window, when trying to open a window using window.open() method from the onload event of the body tag. It allows to open a window, if window.open() command is executed from other than body onload event. Also, as per documentation, MS Windows XP will have in-built pop-up blocker, which cause problem when opening page using window.open() method.

I can know whether or not any pop-up blocker is installed, by checking the type of object created after executing the window.open() method and assigning the reference to a variable.

I have also tried another option in that, we can open a dummy modeless window (window.showModeless) and from that window opening the required page using window.open() command and closing the dummy window. But, in this case one extra server trip will be executed and a splashing small window appears (even though dialog's height and width attributes sets to 0) before displaying required page.

Can any other approach to open a new window other than page body onload event? Any idea to deactivate pop-up blocker or any work-around to overcome this issue?

As per doc. pop-up window allows, if user has clicked link on the web page. Any idea to generate Click() event of link control programmatically? So that we can call the window.open() method in the clicked event code of link control.

Thanks,
Dipak

Old July 14th, 2006, 08:39 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 1 richarddixon74 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 10 m 2 sec
Reputation Power: 0
pop-up blocker Problem

Hi Dipak,

I am facing the same problem too. Did you find any solution to this problem. If yes can you please answer me the method of how to deactivate the popup blocker or how to open a child popup window without being blocked by the popup blocker!

Thanks in advance,

I am looking forward to your reply,
Regards,
Dixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dipak
I have one issue regarding pop-up blocker. Pop-up blocker won't allow opening a window, when trying to open a window using window.open() method from the onload event of the body tag. It allows to open a window, if window.open() command is executed from other than body onload event. Also, as per documentation, MS Windows XP will have in-built pop-up blocker, which cause problem when opening page using window.open() method.

I can know whether or not any pop-up blocker is installed, by checking the type of object created after executing the window.open() method and assigning the reference to a variable.

I have also tried another option in that, we can open a dummy modeless window (window.showModeless) and from that window opening the required page using window.open() command and closing the dummy window. But, in this case one extra server trip will be executed and a splashing small window appears (even though dialog's height and width attributes sets to 0) before displaying required page.

Can any other approach to open a new window other than page body onload event? Any idea to deactivate pop-up blocker or any work-around to overcome this issue?

As per doc. pop-up window allows, if user has clicked link on the web page. Any idea to generate Click() event of link control programmatically? So that we can call the window.open() method in the clicked event code of link control.

Thanks,
Dipak

Old July 14th, 2006, 12:09 PM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Posts: 552 Mittineague User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)Mittineague User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Week 1 Day 9 h 1 m 33 sec
Reputation Power: 10
pop-up blocker

Hi richarddixon74, welcome to the forums,
You may not have noticed, but this thread was posted a little over 2 years ago. Browsers and pop-up blockers have changed some since then. If you're have troubles with your browser blocking scripted pop-ups, check to ensure that it is allowing javascript. Also make sure that if you have other blocking apps installed, their settings will allow scripted pop-ups. If they don't allow you this option you may have to uninstall them for the pop-ups to work for you.

Old July 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Command Line Warrior
Click here for more information

Posts: 1,030 Itsacon User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)Itsacon User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)Itsacon User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)  Folding Points: 2966446 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 6Folding Points: 2966446 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 6Folding Points: 2966446 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 6Folding Points: 2966446 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 6Folding Points: 2966446 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 6Folding Points: 2966446 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 6Folding Points: 2966446 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 6Folding Points: 2966446 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 6Folding Points: 2966446 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 6Folding Points: 2966446 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 6
Time spent in forums: 1 Week 12 h 39 m 36 sec
Reputation Power: 12
Send a message via ICQ to Itsacon
In my experience, most pop-up blockers have a disable button..

Unless of course you're trying to disable the pop-up blocker of your site's visitors, in which case you should stop trying and redeem yourself...

"The biggest problem encountered while trying to design a system that was completely foolproof, was, that people tended to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
---Douglas Adams

Join the Itsacon fanclub!    
Zero Tolerance: Spammers banned so far: 592

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJavaScript Development > Deactivate pop-up blocker

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: