JavaScript Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJavaScript Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old December 2nd, 2004, 09:16 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 1 binit.agrawala User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Detecting Activex objects installed in IE

Hi All,

I want to detect whether a particular activex component has been successfully installed in my IE browser. Based on this I have to choose the next web page I browse i.e. if the component has not been installed, then I should me led to an error page else normal flow. And all this has to be done using java script as the code has to be plat form independent.

More info : OS -- Win XP SP2
Browser -- IE-6

Any help will be appreciated

TIA

Binit

Old March 16th, 2005, 08:58 AM

Posts: 1 Wellmoon User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 6 m 22 sec
Which activeX object do you wish to detect?

Old July 13th, 2006, 09:54 PM

Posts: 1 cwhtan User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 39 m 56 sec
How to detect IE ActiveX object is ebabled?

I'm proceeding in my project, but I found when the Internet option -> security setting -> ActiveX object set to prompt. When running JS script which invoke the ActiveX object, IE promt to ask if the ActiveX object is allow? I found there will be possibility user disabled the ActiveX and cause error in JS script. Did anyone know the way of detecting the security setting, if the user PC setting "Promt" or "enabled" for the ActiveX object?

Thank you.

Old July 14th, 2006, 11:26 AM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Posts: 552 Mittineague User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)Mittineague User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Week 1 Day 9 h 1 m 33 sec
Reputation Power: 14
javascript - ActiveX

You should try not to write code that depends on either ActiveX or javascript being enabled. If you can, try to write code that enhances a users experience if they have javascript and/or ActiveX, but will not break if they don't.
You can not acquire a users security settings with javascipt. You can write in try-catch error handling blocks so that if the ActiveX object is loaded and allowed the script will work, and if not, an alternate will occur (even if it's a "sorry, you must have ActiveX for this" type of thing). The ActiveX prompts are a security feature to prevent users from unkowingly allowing malicious code to run, you have to find a way to deal with this. Explaining why users should allow it should help some, as well "signing" the control certificate.

Old February 4th, 2008, 10:17 AM

Posts: 2 Styl1n User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 5 m 21 sec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittineague
You should try not to write code that depends on either ActiveX or javascript being enabled. If you can, try to write code that enhances a users experience if they have javascript and/or ActiveX, but will not break if they don't.
You can not acquire a users security settings with javascipt. You can write in try-catch error handling blocks so that if the ActiveX object is loaded and allowed the script will work, and if not, an alternate will occur (even if it's a "sorry, you must have ActiveX for this" type of thing). The ActiveX prompts are a security feature to prevent users from unkowingly allowing malicious code to run, you have to find a way to deal with this. Explaining why users should allow it should help some, as well "signing" the control certificate.

Horse$hit! Sorry but that's not always the case. Ja i agree that in many cases, writing JS that could break the functionality of an app is bad but there are cases where it is just neccessary; especially on internal sites with particular active x requirements. Don't get me wrong, given that you have full control over requirements, idealism is great but it's rarely practical and expressing it as your first point isn't helpful.

Finding out whether an active x is installed is pretty straight forward, you just declare it as per normal and then just check it is present. The snippet below will redirect if MSXML4 is not installed.

Code:
<OBJECT id="MSXML4"
classid="clsid:88d969c0-f192-11d4-a65f-0040963251e5"
codebase="http://www..../msxml4.cab#version=4,10,9404,0"
type="application/x-oleobject"
STYLE="display: none"
standby="ww">
Alternative Text
</OBJECT>

<script>
//if msxml4 is not installed
if( !document.MSXML4 ){
document.loction.href = "SomePage.html"
</script>
}

Old February 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Posts: 552 Mittineague User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)Mittineague User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Week 1 Day 9 h 1 m 33 sec
Reputation Power: 14
if object exists

Thanks for posting the example code. Much more helpful than my
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mittineague
You can write in try-catch error handling blocks so that if the ActiveX object is loaded and allowed the script will work, and if not, an alternate will occur

Old June 1st, 2010, 04:00 PM

Posts: 13 onlineclick User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 3 m 44 sec
Here I am*

Good day!Im new to the site. really looking forward to meeting new people, seeing what they have to say and just really chilling on some social network other than facebook. bleh. like i said, i am me, now who are you?Take care!

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJavaScript Development > Detecting Activex objects installed in IE

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: