JavaScript Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJavaScript Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old March 18th, 2003, 11:54 PM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 1 Archie User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 0
required: Javascript to search and display XML data sheet based on input criteria

Hi, I'm new here and fairly new to Javascript.

I am building a CD based html utility for distribution to our company's salesmen to search the specifications of our products.

What I want to do is have the user input the client's requirements on about 10 data points then do a search and create a list of suitable products that match all the criteria.

I have already achieved a draft version of this using html and javascript with an input form, multi-dimensioned arrays storing each product's specs, a search and compare routine and a list box to output the possible candidate products.

Trouble is, it is not very elegant and getting the data from our company's spreadsheets into the arrays is a pain.

I have a vbasic macro that I can use to easily build an xml file from the existing excel data format so I want to use an xml sheet for my data storage instead of the javascript arrays, then just use javascript to search and display the data into a table. (I later plan to be able to click on the table to view details of a listed product, but that is for later)

Right now, I need a javascript routine that is going to search through any one of about ten items from xml elements, select the product, copy it into a table then repeat until each product is analyzed.
-------------------------------------------------------
Example
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
<test>
<machines>
<machine>machine A</machine>
<cavity>4 </cavity>
<liters>2 </liters>
<thread>45 </thread>
<edim>43 </edim>
<srdim>45 </srdim>
<height>350 </height>
<bddim>180 </bddim>
<maxweight>240 </maxweight>
<minweight>45 </minweight>
<index>1 </index>
</machines>
</test>
Based on this I want to be able to search for all machines having an "srdim" value >= to the user's input AND a "minweight" value <= to the user's input then display the "machine" and "cavity"elements in a table.
-------------------------------------------------------

I don't want anything too exotic because it is to be used by computer novices. Also my company is international so OS's and languages may vary, hence the reason for choosing html / javascript. However we CAN assume they will all be using IE5 or above.

I will post a sample of what I am doing on the internet this evening, our company firewall prevents me uploading right now.

EDIT: here is the link URL

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Archie : March 20th, 2003 at 04:51 AM.

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJavaScript Development > required: Javascript to search and display XML data sheet based on input criteria

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: