JavaScript Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJavaScript Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old October 13th, 2006, 10:08 PM
\ ^_^ / - *Local Friend*
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 469 colton22 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 2 Days 1 h 36 m 37 sec
Reputation Power: 12
Send a message via AIM to colton22 Send a message via MSN to colton22 Send a message via Yahoo to colton22
Sending Email Without The Users Comfermation

hello,

i am wondering if there is a way to send an email without the user knowing about it, i dont care what language it takes as long as it is easy to understand coding . if anyone knows please help

thanks

colton22

Old October 14th, 2006, 04:50 AM
Command Line Warrior
Dev Articles Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Posts: 1,021 Icon User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)Icon User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 2 Weeks 8 h 12 m 36 sec
Reputation Power: 14
Server side, no problem right? JavaScript, again the sandbox should prevent such things.. You can offcourse submit hidden forms without the user noticing and such.. Although your users would not like it if they found out

Old October 14th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Posts: 552 Mittineague User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)Mittineague User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Week 1 Day 9 h 1 m 33 sec
Reputation Power: 13
js email

You can use javascript to populate the fields of a mailto, but the user's email client will load and they of course would have to know about it to send it. If you have PHP you can use the mail function. Similar to sending contact form info, you can also have it send other info instead. eg. Sending the webmaster an alert message with an IP # when someone lands on a honeypot page.

Old October 14th, 2006, 05:50 PM
\ ^_^ / - *Local Friend*

Send a message via AIM to colton22 Send a message via MSN to colton22 Send a message via Yahoo to colton22
i dont know php or other langauges like that, if you could, could you please create a function to do it, i know to use the tags

<?php

?>

tags and i use .html file so i could switch it to .php, just how would i call the function and i would need one string based parimeter to import to the function, if you dont want to create this its ok.

thanks a lot

colton22

Old October 16th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Contributing User

Posts: 60 ravs User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 11 h 44 m 29 sec
Send a message via Yahoo to ravs
Smile ye ye

You can do this, but why u want to do this. cuz i think r, this is not the right way to do u job,

althought here is the concept.

create ur mail class, and then on user logon, just fire that class, it will automatically send the mail.

enjoy..

Old October 16th, 2006, 09:09 AM
I'm Internet Famous
Dev Articles Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Posts: 2,886 MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Week 16 h 19 m 35 sec
Reputation Power: 18
I wouldn't mind knowing why... and who are you sending email to?
I can't think of any practical use

"The net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it." -- William Gibson

Old October 16th, 2006, 03:41 PM
\ ^_^ / - *Local Friend*

the reason i would like to know how to do this is so i could have a timer that will increase a counters value by 1 every second, therefore, on unload, call a window.open, or a function to post to this php file to send the time (in seconds) that the user had been on my website, what songs they listened to, and how many they listened to, therefore i can get an idea how many songs that people listen to, and also what kinds of songs my users listen to more. not only that, but tell what kind of browsers are most common becasue therefore i can tell what browser to make it more appeling to.

colton22

my website is: http://www.freewebs.com/colton22/

Last edited by colton22 : October 16th, 2006 at 03:42 PM. Reason: added my website address: http://www.freewebs.com/colton22

Old October 17th, 2006, 01:09 PM

Posts: 154 Nilpo User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)Nilpo User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)  Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2
Time spent in forums: 18 h 1 m 47 sec
Send a message via ICQ to Nilpo Send a message via AIM to Nilpo Send a message via MSN to Nilpo Send a message via Yahoo to Nilpo Send a message via Google Talk to Nilpo Send a message via Skype to Nilpo Send a message via XFire to Nilpo
Facebook MySpace Orkut
Okay, but Visitor Tracking via email? Not the best approach. If you're looking for something easy and free, try AXS Visitor Tracking. It's a simple drop in CGI that does all of the work for you. Their site even has an installer. Not only will you get better results, but you're going to save your inbox too.

Old October 18th, 2006, 11:09 AM
I'm Internet Famous
Dev Articles Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Posts: 2,886 MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Week 16 h 19 m 35 sec
Reputation Power: 18
I agree with Nilpo. User tracking via Javascript/PHP/Email is a messy solution. Besides, onUnload would fire every time people navigate around your site. You might not get the results you expect anyways.

Old October 18th, 2006, 04:08 PM
\ ^_^ / - *Local Friend*

well, i kinda would like to do that onunload, because only if they select a song, it will say "ok i want to email this" by a if then else, therfore if there there long enough, like 1 min, and a song was selected, it would post to another php page, the information, in which would in return, email to me, what song they listened to.

colton22

Old December 3rd, 2006, 11:36 PM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Posts: 552 Mittineague User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)Mittineague User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Week 1 Day 9 h 1 m 33 sec
Reputation Power: 13
onunload mail

I think a database would be more in order for this, but ...
If you have a PHP page that sends you an email you could use onunload to send it hidden POST values
document.onunload form.submit

Old December 4th, 2006, 05:37 PM
\ ^_^ / - *Local Friend*

the main problem with this.. stated in the $$ form...

i am not able to use php on my file server, i have a friend that is currently hosting 1 php page on a different address, i need to post info to this other file on a differnet domain.

colton22

Hang Out, Listen To Music, Have Fun, and Customize Your Experiance All In One Place! - Colton22's World - This is My World

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJavaScript Development > Sending Email Without The Users Comfermation

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: