JavaScript Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJavaScript Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old March 3rd, 2003, 06:50 PM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 2 comebacktomorro User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 0
xml rte

Im just curious, does anyone know of any tutorials or examples that could help me develop a xml based rich text editor.

It may not require xml, but that just seemed the most logical option to me.

I guess where the whole thing falls down(um.. that article on here about it) is that I need (want) the abillity to add additional commands, that go beyond the microsoft dhtml stuff (im loosing what words i should be using).

What I have in mind is more towards adding non-textual data such as virtual page break (like spreading the artical over several pages) and layout control.

Hope Im not being too confusing
Anyway, any help to get me on the right track would be apreacated.
David

Old March 3rd, 2003, 07:20 PM
The calm b4 the storm

Posts: 404 fakker User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Reputation Power: 17
Send a message via Yahoo to fakker
hey David,

welcome to Devarticles!! There has been a lot of talk on WYSIWYG editors on these forums, so you're bound to find an answer from someone!!

At first glance, I found this article from the MSDN website on XML....

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d.../xmldocedit.asp

what extra features were you looking to implement? (in addition to the DHTML ones?)

This is always a popular topic..... so it's good to hear other peoples views!

mattfacer.com

Old March 4th, 2003, 01:41 AM

Posts: 2 comebacktomorro User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Reputation Power: 0
Firstly, thanks for your reply.

After I had posted, I found Xopus - a XML WYSISWYG editor (URL) but I dunno it seemed rather daunting, but still it was a start, and its not all that dissimilar to the one on MSDN - I had looked there earlier but I didnt come across that example (I actually recall seeing that article before, but at the time I was not intersted in it).

What I have in mind is a very stuctured editor.
You start off with a the editor asking for some basic information (or maybe a properties thing to be filled out at some point in time with basic information) such as a title and other meta-data such as keywords.

From there you create I guess headings then sub-headings followed by a paragraph body and possibly seperate with pages.

Each paragraph could be given a optional predefiend layout such as image to the right of text, image to the left.

And above that there would be predefined styles to keep contunity between pages and other articles.

Eg,
<article name=x>
<meta keywords=x/>
<author name=x/>
<page name="introduction">
<heading>xxxx<heading/>
<body layout_id=0 image=""> text <body/>
<subheading>xxxxx<subheaing/>
<body layout_id=3 image="pic.gif> text here<body/>
<page/>
<page name="conclusion">
<heading> xxxx<heading/>
<body layout_id=0 image=""> text <body/>
<page/>
<article/>
<article/>

I hope that helps a bit, I guess Im thinking something similar to typo3's rte, except more structured, more structured (layout and presentation wise (fixed font, fixed bg colour, tables are predfined).

Oh and the fun one, any idea how to put text in columns?!?

(I guess predefinend tables could be a negitive, but I have never seen a implimentation of tables in a wysiwyg that looks professional enough, but there is always a first time for everything.

Maybe I dont have to use xml, Im not sure, but I see that it has its advanateges over html, and I for one like the structured approatch when in a professional (well semi) type enviroment.

Just a little about me, Im a first year IT student (who has changed courses) who has a phobia of starting programming(!). The whole idea of doing IT as a career scares me and I think IT and me would get along best if it is only a friendly relationship (eg. hobby\interest).

I have always been intersted in the whole database\dynamic\php thing and yeah, im trying to get there... Even if only slowly.

The reason Im looking at this is because I have been asked by a friend in a band if I could help make them a site. Sure it would be easy to slap things together, but I want to make something useable and something that I can build my knowlege upon.

Anyway, a choclate biscut is calling (really!!!)
Thanks Again,
David

*edit* I just took a closer look at the editor on msdn and like WOW, that is getting pretty close to what I was thinking of! Almost exactly!

Last edited by comebacktomorro : March 4th, 2003 at 01:53 AM.

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingJavaScript Development > xml rte

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: