Microsoft Access Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsDatabasesMicrosoft Access Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old December 4th, 2004, 09:36 PM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 53 Rishyraj User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 4 h 29 m
Reputation Power: 10
Smile How many users can use access at the same time????

Hi All,

I made a database which has quite a few fields and subforms. Now, that its working, more number of users are going to use the database. Can any one advise as to how many people can use/edit/modify a record/data/table at the same time.

Until now, if someone was using a .mdb it use to show a locked .ldb and I was not using it as other user was using the database. What would happen if i open it. Will the database become read only?? Can any body please advise what would be the best way to keep the database available to many user at the same time.. with out loosing or effecting existing data/configuration/other user.

Thanks a lot.

Rishy

Old December 4th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Posts: 632 lwells User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Day 21 h 59 m 38 sec
Hi Rishy,

Record locking levels should be in place with a multi-user environment. Only one person can edit a record at a time. With SQL servers, the last entry will be the edited record. If you are using a network drive the same will apply. I don't know the number or limit of users, as we have 14 people in our office using the same database. Only on occassions when two people are trying to edit the same record will a warning pop up to advise that the record changes can't be saved. Then it was just a matter of going back into the record to make the change. For example, many records require to be signed off as accepted, if two senior managers are in the same record trying to sign off, then only one is saved, however with the warning message, they know to reopen the record and to re-edit the record. So to answer your question, set record locks and then use the database as you like regardless if someone else is using it at the same time.

lwells

Old January 5th, 2005, 03:01 AM

Posts: 20 Danny_Access User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 h 37 m 49 sec
Reputation Power: 0
I made a database for multi users and mine seems to work?

I read this thread and immeditely tried it on my database....

I logged into 2 computers, each under different usernames and opened the database on both.

I added data to the form and updated the database.

NOTE: I dont know whether this is relivent but the user never actually edits data stored, simply adds new data. Its basically a PostIn form, when we get new post we input the details.....

I then went over the database on the other pc and added data to that whilst leaving the other database open....basically simulating multiple users adding data.

I proceeded to shut both databases down and then open them both back up again to find that data from both were accounted for....

Finally when enabling record locking, im slightly confused.....

Do i need to go round to every PC and enable it or just the database once? I tried to enable it on my pc, then signed in on another pc under a different username and it was not enabled?

Also how do i make a error message appear s described above by lwells.

Thanks very much its appreciated!

Old January 5th, 2005, 07:34 AM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Novice (500 - 999 posts)

Posts: 632 lwells User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Day 21 h 59 m 38 sec
This is something you won't need to worry about. Only one person at a time can edit an existing record. If a record is attempted to be edited by two users at the same time..Access will provide the error message as soon as the record loses the focus. You can try this by opening one record on one machine..make a change to one of the fields, but don't exit the record. Now go to another machine and perform the same task on the same record in the same field. Go back to the first machine and when you leave the record to go to a new record, an error message will alert you that the record has been changed by another user. Multiple people can view the same records at the same time, but just not edit them at the same time. Under Tools/Options/Advanced you can also set additional locking to the database if you desire, for example if you only want one person to view a record at a time...just whatever preferences you want.

lwells

Old January 5th, 2005, 08:29 AM

Posts: 20 Danny_Access User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 h 37 m 49 sec
Ah, thanks, thats a huge weight off my shoulders!

Old March 25th, 2013, 04:50 PM

Posts: 5 plierpuller User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 2 h 55 m 16 sec
A bit of Clarification please?

I am working on yet another work database, with multiple tables and forms, connected through referential integrity checking. If someone from payroll is working on an employees record, at the same time as someone from safety is also trying to update information on that person, will the conflict occur since they would be editing information on the same employee, or do you mean that if 2 people try to edit the same employees information, for example if 2 safety people accidentally begin working on the same employee, and indeed same field, one of them would get an error message about saving?

Edit: Perhaps I should take a look at the age a discussion before putting my own two cents in

Last edited by plierpuller : March 25th, 2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Not paying attention

Old April 10th, 2013, 11:59 AM

Posts: 6 Sadiutra User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 4 h 8 m 20 sec
Send a message via Skype to Sadiutra
For a large project at work and probably have 6-8 people working on it at the same time.

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsDatabasesMicrosoft Access Development > How many users can use access at the same time????

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: