MySQL Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsDatabasesMySQL Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old March 12th, 2014, 05:18 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 1 andreea115 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 29 m 39 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Best way to design mysql database table

Hi everyone
Can someone please explain to me how MySQL searches through a database of multiple tables?
The reason for the question is that I am trying to determine the best way to design A database that would allow me to index many searchable columns within the tables.
It might be best if I show you what I mean;
I have a user entity that has many categories like;
LocationPostCode
Main language spoken
Country visited
Available date
Smoker
Driver

ETC ETC
I expect to have millions of registered USERS s and will ALLOW members to search the database by one or many of the above categories..
QUESTION
Is it best therefore to keep all these columns in one table and then index each of them?. I however read somewhere that indexing several columns on a table affects performance .
Alternatively, should I make separate tables for EACH of these main items and then just have the user_ id indexed in each of these tables. (i.e MySQL would then make a separate FETCH to each of these table to fetch all the Id in each table).
I understand however that JOIN are a costly operation for MySQL to perform and that its quicker for it to work from one table.
I would be very grateful if someone could explain the right approach and also explain how the engine conducts the search. I seem to be getting contrary information from many different sources.
Warm regards
Andreea

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsDatabasesMySQL Development > Best way to design mysql database table

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: