MySQL Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsDatabasesMySQL Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old September 15th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 2 tetontrekker User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 25 m 59 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Help with JOIN syntax please

Hello, I've been struggling with JOINs and I hope I found the right forum for help. I teach myself PHP & MySQL so sometimes I don't use the correct terms which can be problematic. PHP I have a firm grip of but I'm very new at MySQL, I'm learning one process at a time an writing it to different pages and queries so I'm fully understanding what I'm doing, then moving on. I am stuck on JOINS I've looked at several examples but cant get my results to print what I want. I have spent all day on this and am very frustrated with myself. It didn't seem that hard.

I have a MS access DB I created several years ago, it houses a Community Band's music library. It's hard to share and novice computer users get overwhelmed and will not use it. It makes more sense to have it on line, I found a driver and am able to export directly to a MySQL DB on our web space, it saves me loads of time and allows me to actively use the Access DB while I'm designing the on line version and learn the code that makes it work. It's working out nicely.

The DB has several tables If I could just get one JOIN to work I could figure out the rest. I am using LEFT JOIN, I have many null values but still need the record to show. I tried several variations but with each one the Arranger ID will only show, not the name. I THINK I'm close but I'm missing something and can figure it out. Here is the page of results http://jhcband.org/wordpress/jhcb-mdb/jhcb-ascabreporting.php

Code:
$tbl_jhcb_ml = "JHCB_Music_Library";
$tbl_arranger_last = "Arrangers";

//Fetching from the database table.
$query = "
	SELECT lib.MusicID, lib.Title, lib.Composer,lib.Composers,lib.Arrangers, ar.ID, ar.FirstName, ar.LastName
	FROM $tbl_jhcb_ml AS lib
	LEFT JOIN $tbl_arranger_last AS ar
	ON lib.Arrangers=ar.LastName
	"
	.$orderBy
	;
$result = mysql_query($query);

if ($result) {
while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
$catalog = $row["MusicID"]; //need for link to details
$name = $row["Title"];
$composer = $row["Composer"]; //free hand, need to work out of page
$composerfirst = $row["Composers"]; 
$composerlast = $row["Composer"]; 
$arrangerfirst = $row["Arrangers"]; //once I can get it to work I will use alias to get this to display the first name
$arrangerlast = $row["Arrangers"]; 

echo "
    <tr>
    <td><a href=\"jhcbmldb-mdetail.php?mlid=$catalog\">$name</a></td>
    <td>$composerfirst</td>
    <td>$composerlast</td>
	<td>$arrangerfirst</td>
	<td>$arrangerlast</td>
	<td>Jackson Hole Community Band</td>
	<td></td>
	<td></td>
	<td></td>
	<td></td>
 	</tr>";
}
}

ANY help is appreciated.
Thank You
Jule

Old September 17th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 2 tetontrekker User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 25 m 59 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Never mind, the code is doing exactly what I told it to do. I found my blunder. Thank You for your time

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsDatabasesMySQL Development > Help with JOIN syntax please

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: