.NET Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgramming.NET Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old March 5th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 4 Martin Mellish User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Question Placement of Beta copies of Business Objects

I use shared hosting, with my production system at the root of my domain and my working beta
in the /beta subfolder. I would like to have a Beta copy of a business object accessible by my
Beta code without breaking the production version. The trouble is that if I put it in the /bin subfolder
of the root it is accessed by the production system too, whereas if I put it anywhere else the Beta code
can't find it. Any ideas? I think there is some kind of hack using <assemblies> in web.config but I am
lookng for something elegant and easy.

Old March 5th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Contributing User

Posts: 114 adurstew User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 m 33 sec
Reputation Power: 17
Send a message via AIM to adurstew Send a message via Yahoo to adurstew
Write the code on your local machine, that's the great part of visual studio. This way you can test it out and run it via IIS and the asp_net.dll

http://madashellnc.blogspot.com

Old March 5th, 2004, 11:34 AM

Posts: 4 Martin Mellish User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
I want it in the same domain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adurstew
Write the code on your local machine, that's the great part of visual studio. This way you can test it out and run it via IIS and the asp_net.dll

Is that the only solution? One of the machines I work on runs XP Home (no IIS). Also, I want the Beta version to be on the Web rather than my local machine, so others can test it (that's why I call it a Beta).

Best wishes,
Martin.

Old March 5th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 114 adurstew User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 m 33 sec
Reputation Power: 17
Send a message via AIM to adurstew Send a message via Yahoo to adurstew
I'm sure you could find a way to get around it but if your not using web gardens on the server (assuming it's windows 2003) then you could accidentally write a never ending loop and kick everyone off the server.

In other words, you NEVER want to do development on the production server. Also, if you don't have IIS download web matrix from www.asp.net, it has a built it IIS server for machines like yours. It will alow you to run the asp.net code.

hth,

Old March 5th, 2004, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adurstew
I'm sure you could find a way to get around it but if your not using web gardens on the server (assuming it's windows 2003) then you could accidentally write a never ending loop and kick everyone off the server.

In other words, you NEVER want to do development on the production server. Also, if you don't have IIS download web matrix from www.asp.net, it has a built it IIS server for machines like yours. It will alow you to run the asp.net code.

hth,

Old March 5th, 2004, 02:38 PM

Please help with what I actually want

Doesn't anybody listen? I want to run Beta code in a subfolder of the live domain and would like help with that.
You may not think that's a good thing to do and you may not want to do it yourself, but that is what I want help with.
In old-style ASP, using Server-side Includes rather than Business Objects for reusable code, this was very easy. What I would expect ASP.NET to do would be to look first in the /bin subfolder of the folder in which the code resides, but it doesn't appear to do that - it just looks in /bin off the root.

In case you didn't get the point, the Beta is supposed to be accessible to others so cannot sit on my local machine. Also, my Broadband provider technically doesn't allow me to run a Web server for security and bandwidth reasons.

Any constructive ideas to help me do what I actually want done?

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgramming.NET Development > Placement of Beta copies of Business Objects

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: