.NET Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgramming.NET Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old August 29th, 2003, 09:04 AM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 171 iahmed User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 42 m 58 sec
Reputation Power: 16
Question Why Microsoft Introduced C#?

Motivation for creating a new language C#
==================================

Please join to discussion highlighting the topics above with your own opinion and experiences.

The Motivation can be as follows:

01. To replace C++ (Microsoft didnít release any new version of MFC since it released C#)

02. C was replaced (or co-existing) with C++; because, C suffered from problems with scalability, code fragility, and memory management complexity, among others. C++ was created as an object-oriented approach to solving those problems.

03. But, problems for C and C++ programmers: memory leaks, difficulty writing multithreaded applications, static linking, illegal pointer references, overly complex multiple-inheritance rules, and so on so forth. Moreover, the COM, DCOM object programming framework has never been easy to use and deploy.

04. When Microsoft tried to extend Java in Visual J++ and tied it more closely to the Windows operating system, Sun hit Microsoft with a lawsuit for violating the terms of its licensing agreement. As a result, Microsoft dumped its Visual J++ product and its developers and came up with idea C#.

Old August 29th, 2003, 09:41 AM
Contributing User

Posts: 114 adurstew User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 m 33 sec
Send a message via AIM to adurstew Send a message via Yahoo to adurstew
Microsoft and C#

I agree that C# is a better language then C++. But it is still based on the Java idea. Why can't microsoft just play nice with Sun Microsystems and work Java into Windows?

This would make better sense then trying to muscle another good corporation off of the market. In my mind C# is another attack from Microsoft to take over another market.

Microsoft has tried to crush Java multiple times and since it can't now it's trying to muscle them out. Doesn't seem fair.

Any thoughts?

Andrew J Durstewitz
http://www.devbuilder.org

Old September 29th, 2003, 05:06 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 284 James Yang User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 2 m 45 sec
Reputation Power: 17
Send a message via ICQ to James Yang
I just couldn't help myself to reply on this one..

01. To replace C++ (Microsoft didnít release any new version of MFC since it released C#)

I seriously doubt that, rather C# replaces J++ and to some extent VB.

02. C was replaced (or co-existing) with C++; because, C suffered from problems with scalability, code fragility, and memory management complexity, among others. C++ was created as an object-oriented approach to solving those problems.

Yes, but C++ still isn't a completely object oriented programming language, they still have int main(); "a function". Though, C++ isn't always better than C. In many situations, you just don't need OOP features, but you just want pure speed of C.

03. But, problems for C and C++ programmers: memory leaks, difficulty writing multithreaded applications, static linking, illegal pointer references, overly complex multiple-inheritance rules, and so on so forth. Moreover, the COM, DCOM object programming framework has never been easy to use and deploy.

Maybe. But they could've just done that by introducing new COM, DCOM etc. not a whole language.

04. When Microsoft tried to extend Java in Visual J++ and tied it more closely to the Windows operating system, Sun hit Microsoft with a lawsuit for violating the terms of its licensing agreement. As a result, Microsoft dumped its Visual J++ product and its developers and came up with idea C#.

YES! But you need to realise that, C# adds alot of neat features to its base language Java. When you show the properties feature to the java programmers..they are stunned. But I do believe that is one of th emain reasons why they brought it out. to compete with java...not c++

---

You can't really compare C++ with C#...i mean they are totally different languages, the "C" in C# is somewhat misleading IMHO.

Sure, C# is neat and clean but do u have control over everything you do? NO! so in some cases, actually quiet often, when u program in c#, u wish u were able to control memorymanagement.

James Yang
.NET Developer / Network Engineer
MCSE, MCDBA, MCSA, CCNA

http://www.yellowpin.com/
http://www.opentechsupport.com/

Old September 29th, 2003, 05:44 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 171 iahmed User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 42 m 58 sec
Quote:
I just couldn't help myself to reply on this one..

Hi James
It's been ages since I've seen you here in forum.
Hope everything's good by you.

This means (Quote) since C# has an ability to bind managed and unmanaged code (and interoperability between managed and unmanaged code), so you can avoid C++ with its MFC.

For example, currently our team is working on the new version of signal processing library with C#, (using Intel Integrated Performance Primitives IPP V 3.0), its a computational intensive and complicated algorithmic iplementation.

We are happy with performance and comfortable with deadline.

The only problem we are having from time to time, is surprisingly, with Non-Isomorphic data types and its memory presentation.

Hope this will explain my statement.

Thank You

Last edited by iahmed : September 29th, 2003 at 05:51 PM.

Old September 29th, 2003, 10:16 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 284 James Yang User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 2 m 45 sec
Reputation Power: 17
Send a message via ICQ to James Yang
Yeah, I was just browing through and i just thought id visit devarticles

I've been busy studying...

i don't get what ur saying in the previous thread tho...i thin k u may have quoted wrong sentence

But anyway, I m not argueing that .NET is not a replacement for MFC, But im argueing that C# is not a replacement for C++.

I do not believe that, C# is in anyway a replacement for C++, eventhough you may use it to develop

Quote:
signal processing library with C#, (using Intel Integrated Performance Primitives IPP V 3.0), a computational intensive and complicated algorithmic iplementation.

but, It just isn't made for that stuff. IMHO. I mean, for my last university project, I had to make an OOP compiler. I can't see myself developing it with C#. I COULD but I wouldn't. If they were made for those things, then MS wouldn't have required extra unsafe parameter for the compiler to compile unmanaged codes.

MS is in no position to develop a language that replaces C++, since they are so dependent on C++ (windows is developped using C++), if someone is oging to replace the c++ the language, then it should be one of the server companies, who specialize in developing compilers. eg intel.

bah...im gonna stop now..i get soo carried away with these kinda discussions..
But I love 'em

But please no more "microsoft is bullly that's why java is better" kind of arguments....if u think somehow, microsoft could have incorporated java in to windows using JVC..then..think again..

ask urself this Q...why doesn't sun let MS incorporate Windows to their server...? because windows isn't made for sun server. just like java isn't made for windows. I mean sure they can make changes...but why would they..so that their competitor can control your product? What if sun says...we won't give you Java anymore to MS after MS has fully integrated java to windows...?? its a dumb move..

sun is just as bad as microsoft..they just don't have the public spotlight for being evil.

STOP!

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgramming.NET Development > Why Microsoft Introduced C#?

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: