PHP Development

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingPHP Development

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old June 4th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 25 Archemides User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Send a message via ICQ to Archemides Send a message via AIM to Archemides Send a message via Yahoo to Archemides
POS (Point of Sale), Cash Registers

Is anyone involved in doing POS (Point of Sale) applications using POS Cash Registers,Internet, PHP, and MySQL? I would like to know what is being done in this arena. Please post here, or visit my profile here and view my AIM (AOL Instant Messanger ID, which is also a valid email address) and my ICQ # and contact me. The companies which I am familiar with currently, who sell POS cash registers have a very expensive proprietary software agreement, and if you use them for a number of installations, then you have no way to sever your relationship, since they have total rights to the software which makes the POS system work from the cash register side. I am certain there must be alternatives which are more in public domain, in the spirit of Linux, Apache, PHP and MySQL. The other issue is that the software on the server side of things, by a different vendor/consultant, is in Liant Cobol, in a proprietary database. The data is being held "captive", since the end user cannot do simple queries, as one could do were the data in a SQL database. If such POS alternatives are NOT currently available, then I see it as an opportunity for someone to develop an alternative to such propietary solutions.

Thanks!

Old June 13th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 51 pentapenguin User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 36 m 7 sec
Reputation Power: 16
I don't know, but using PHP, MySQL, Javascript, and a web browser, one could create an inexpensive POS system.
Interesting idea.
I've wanted to do something like that before, but just don't have the time.
You might want to look at http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20629.

Old July 30th, 2004, 05:42 AM

Posts: 3 proffittcenter User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 9 m 46 sec
Hi

I have developed an open source POS system for a single user at www.proffittcenter.free-online.co.uk . This was based on C++ Builder and local Paradox database. I have started work on replicating this for multiple users again using Builder but with MySQL database. Still quite a lot of work to do.
Dave

Old February 4th, 2007, 02:58 AM

Posts: 3 proffittcenter User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Now, in 2007, perhaps time to update my development plans. I abandoned plans for using C++/MySQL. Current program under development is entirely Java/MySQL.

Old June 18th, 2007, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proffittcenter
Now, in 2007, perhaps time to update my development plans. I abandoned plans for using C++/MySQL. Current program under development is entirely Java/MySQL.

As a further update, I have made considerable progress and am now looking at a September, 2007 release date. For further information visit the site - no loger at free-online - just substitute .org

Old October 25th, 2009, 10:31 PM

Posts: 1 slikeLesksart User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 9 sec
Send a message via ICQ to slikeLesksart
MySpace
Cute Girl

Coreect

Old December 6th, 2009, 09:43 AM

Posts: 1 alvin101 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 18 m 16 sec
Point of Sale - application

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archemides
Is anyone involved in doing POS (Point of Sale) applications using POS Cash Registers,Internet, PHP, and MySQL? I would like to know what is being done in this arena. Please post here, or visit my profile here and view my AIM (AOL Instant Messanger ID, which is also a valid email address) and my ICQ # and contact me. The companies which I am familiar with currently, who sell POS cash registers have a very expensive proprietary software agreement, and if you use them for a number of installations, then you have no way to sever your relationship, since they have total rights to the software which makes the POS system work from the cash register side. I am certain there must be alternatives which are more in public domain, in the spirit of Linux, Apache, PHP and MySQL. The other issue is that the software on the server side of things, by a different vendor/consultant, is in Liant Cobol, in a proprietary database. The data is being held "captive", since the end user cannot do simple queries, as one could do were the data in a SQL database. If such POS alternatives are NOT currently available, then I see it as an opportunity for someone to develop an alternative to such propietary solutions.

Thanks!

Is anyone out there still working on a Point of Sale application?

Old April 8th, 2010, 10:04 AM

Posts: 2 lalder User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 6 m 26 sec
Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvin101
Is anyone out there still working on a Point of Sale application?

Yes I am about to start.

Old July 9th, 2010, 12:16 AM

Posts: 1 Expageped User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 m 9 sec
Send a message via ICQ to Expageped
Hello guys

Hi I'm new. Nice forum. Just found it on Bing. Thank you 4 the Excellent community we have here

Old July 9th, 2010, 02:26 AM

Posts: 2 danielovincenzo User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 21 m 42 sec
Point of sale (POS)

Point of sale (POS) or checkout is the location where a transaction occurs. A "checkout" refers to a POS terminal or more generally to the hardware and software used for checkouts, the equivalent of an electronic cash register.

A POS terminal manages the selling process by a salesperson accessible interface. The same system allows the creation and printing of the voucher.

Old July 9th, 2010, 07:24 AM

Posts: 2 lalder User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 6 m 26 sec
yes it will be both

The general idea was to use a single server and terminal units at check out stations.

Old April 26th, 2011, 04:42 AM

Posts: 1 mariosg User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 m 17 sec
You might also want to take a look at the Point of Sale software from RetailExpress

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsProgrammingPHP Development > POS (Point of Sale), Cash Registers

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: