Site Reviews

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsWeb DesignSite Reviews

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old July 27th, 2007, 11:55 PM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 154 Nilpo User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)Nilpo User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)  Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2
Time spent in forums: 18 h 1 m 47 sec
Reputation Power: 12
Send a message via ICQ to Nilpo Send a message via AIM to Nilpo Send a message via MSN to Nilpo Send a message via Yahoo to Nilpo Send a message via Google Talk to Nilpo Send a message via Skype to Nilpo Send a message via XFire to Nilpo
Facebook MySpace Orkut
Http://www.nilpo.com

Hey, guys.

Constructive critism or comments? I'm not very concerned with SEO critiques since I've pushed this site to top 10 in Google in 7 days of launch, however, suggestions are always welcome.

Layout, design, usability?

Thanks.

http://www.nilpo.com

Scripting problems? Windows questions? Ask the Windows Guru!

Stay up to date with all of my latest content. Follow me on Twitter!

Help us help you! Post your exact error message with these easy tips!

Old July 28th, 2007, 01:35 AM
Beyond help

Posts: 222 Humanetainit User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 2 Days 1 h 32 m 30 sec
Reputation Power: 11
What did you do except installing WP and the Field of Dreams theme?

Old July 28th, 2007, 02:01 PM

Posts: 154 Nilpo User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)Nilpo User rank is Private First Class (20 - 50 Reputation Level)  Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2Folding Points: 600856 Folding Title: Super Ultimate Folder - Level 2
Send a message via ICQ to Nilpo Send a message via AIM to Nilpo Send a message via MSN to Nilpo Send a message via Yahoo to Nilpo Send a message via Google Talk to Nilpo Send a message via Skype to Nilpo Send a message via XFire to Nilpo
Facebook MySpace Orkut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanetainit
What did you do except installing WP and the Field of Dreams theme?
I've rewritten most of the Wordpress core for better SEO. It's fully customized.

Old August 11th, 2007, 05:25 AM
Contributing User

Posts: 403 infamous-online User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Day 27 m 25 sec
Reputation Power: 16
nilpo, the site looks good and it's easy on the eyes as well.

Old August 11th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Facebook MySpace Orkut
Quote:
Originally Posted by infamous-online
nilpo, the site looks good and it's easy on the eyes as well.
Thank you very much.

The extra time spent on rewriting WP was well worth it as well. The site appeared top 10 in Google after only 7 days of launch.

Old August 12th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 403 infamous-online User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilpo
Thank you very much.

The extra time spent on rewriting WP was well worth it as well. The site appeared top 10 in Google after only 7 days of launch.

Hey Nilpo, i noticed you had an rss feed, how did you create it? If you saw my thread about rss creation, how would i go about creat ing one? one that's dynamic, and with out the use of third party tools?

Old August 12th, 2007, 01:46 PM

Facebook MySpace Orkut
Link your thread....

In any case, have you read any of my RSS articles here?

Simple Syndication with RSS 2.0 by Nilpo.

As for building it dynamically, I need to know more about your site set up....but yes, it can be done. All of mine are fully dynamic.
Comments on this post
infamous-online agrees: thanks for the rss feed article

Old August 12th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
Link your thread....

In any case, have you read any of my RSS articles here?

Simple Syndication with RSS 2.0 by Nilpo.

As for building it dynamically, I need to know more about your site set up....but yes, it can be done. All of mine are fully dynamic.

http://forums.devarticles.com/web-d...html#post156915

there is the thread. and i'll check out your link and hope it puts me into the right direction.

my site setup, pretty it's nothing fancy, but basically i just the rss feed to be updated, whenever i add new articles to the site. that is all i want it for, so i know this sounds simple, but coming from someone who has never really dipped my hands into rss it's a bit challenging.

Old August 12th, 2007, 11:45 PM
Contributing User

thanks for the article, it provided clarity that other articles didn't do in the past. i appreciate it man.

Old August 13th, 2007, 01:01 AM

Facebook MySpace Orkut
Quote:
thanks for the article, it provided clarity that other articles didn't do in the past. i appreciate it man.
No problem. Anyway, I need to see your site. If you don't want to post a link in your thread, just send me a PM.

Old August 15th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
No problem. Anyway, I need to see your site. If you don't want to post a link in your thread, just send me a PM.

it's not public, sad to say. it's still in the developement stages at the time being, so it's only being served on my machine.

Old August 15th, 2007, 12:51 PM

Facebook MySpace Orkut
Quote:
it's not public, sad to say. it's still in the developement stages at the time being, so it's only being served on my machine.
Okay...are you using a CMS system? How are you serving your content?

We need to find a way to integrate into whatever you're using. The rest is as simple as updating a text file when a new page is created.

Old August 17th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
Okay...are you using a CMS system? How are you serving your content?

We need to find a way to integrate into whatever you're using. The rest is as simple as updating a text file when a new page is created.

I am using my own, i don't like the cms programs out there, i'd rather control things to my liking.

hmm the updating the feed automatically is probably going to be my only issue really, as i don't know how to have it update automatically.

basically the design is similiar to your website, however whenever i get around to it, i'll be making video tutorials as well.

Old August 30th, 2007, 09:06 AM
I'm Internet Famous
Dev Articles Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Posts: 2,886 MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Week 16 h 19 m 35 sec
Reputation Power: 17
Update automatically? Why not just trigger an update when you publish a post?
Otherwise, some type of cron-job or scheduled task.

Nilpo, the site's banner reminds me of windows... but a little more evil. Then I realized your content was Windows related, so it's somewhat fitting. The rounded tabs on the top look a little like Apple's site though.

"The net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it." -- William Gibson

Old August 31st, 2007, 05:45 PM
Contributing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCowDzz
Update automatically? Why not just trigger an update when you publish a post?
Otherwise, some type of cron-job or scheduled task.

Nilpo, the site's banner reminds me of windows... but a little more evil. Then I realized your content was Windows related, so it's somewhat fitting. The rounded tabs on the top look a little like Apple's site though.

sorry guys i've been away for a good while, mad i have no idea as to how to do a cron job, that's not my specialty so how would do that?

Old August 31st, 2007, 07:14 PM

Facebook MySpace Orkut
Quote:
sorry guys i've been away for a good while, mad i have no idea as to how to do a cron job, that's not my specialty so how would do that?
Are you on a Linux or Windows server?

Old September 5th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Contributing User

Quote:
Are you on a Linux or Windows server?

windows

Old September 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM
I'm Internet Famous
Dev Articles Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Posts: 2,886 MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Week 16 h 19 m 35 sec
Reputation Power: 17
I would ignore my comment of cron job (for the record, in Windows it would be a Scheduled Task)... I think I was thinking you were generating static html pages or something.

Consider this, a RSS feed is no different than dynamically creating an HTML page... you're just using different syntax. There's two ways to go about the RSS feed... Dynamically pull the content from the database, presumably similar to the way you're displaying blog content already... or generate the RSS file when you post a new story.

For the first one, look up the XML syntax of an RSS feed and generating the page dynamically shouldn't be that difficult. Personally I would then pipe that feed through FeedBurner and let users connect to that feed instead.

The second method would be to write a file, using the same RSS syntax, when you hit "publish" on your content engine. The advantage is technically speed and less load on the database as you are cache'ing the RSS file and not pulling it dynamically every time a user checks for a new post.

Old February 26th, 2008, 01:28 PM

Posts: 5 CASSIUS User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 26 m 59 sec
Reputation Power: 0
Wink

Heya Nilpo,

Nice design. I like the website!

Good look!

Old February 26th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Contributing User

Posts: 65 ehsan User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 19 h 43 m 44 sec
Send a message via MSN to ehsan Send a message via Yahoo to ehsan Send a message via Google Talk to ehsan Send a message via Skype to ehsan
Overall the site has a nice design. Only one suggestion. When you roll-over the rating stars, it always pushes down content below it and shows the text "1 Star, 2 Stars...". I think it will be nicer if you moved the rating stat text (e.g. "(3 votes, average: 5 out of 5)") below the rating stars image and display the text 1 Star, 2 Stars...beside the image.

Rest looks good.
* @location North York, ON, Canada
*/

Old March 8th, 2008, 12:14 PM

Posts: 1 ssiddireddy User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 6 m 46 sec
Lot of pros, but I will talk on cons. Too big header and it is taking lot of vetical space which may not be good in this world of wide screens. Also the gap before the footer is not good.

Old March 11th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Facebook MySpace Orkut
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I appreciate your comments.

Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:58 PM

Posts: 7 rohit09 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 32 m 3 sec
Good Stuff

Ya.. I know you spend lots of free time to make this..

Old December 26th, 2009, 07:21 AM

Posts: 1 ldainformation User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 19 m 4 sec
why WordPress 2.3.1 ?

Nilpo but why are you still using WordPress 2.3.1?

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsWeb DesignSite Reviews > Http://www.nilpo.com

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: