The Lizard Lounge

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsCommunityThe Lizard Lounge

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old December 24th, 2002, 07:04 AM
The calm b4 the storm
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 404 fakker User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: < 1 sec
Reputation Power: 16
Send a message via Yahoo to fakker
rent a coder...

hey everyone...

I came across this website today called RentaCoder ... it's grest for everyone who needs some coding work!! Basically, people will post a requirement, for example, if they need some forum software writing then will post it on this site..... us coders then go along, see the post, and bid for the job.

so if I bid say, $300 to do the job, the person who wants the software writing can read me resume and decide if I should get the job.... but someone else might bid $250 and have a better resume, in which case the person posting the job would get to decide who to pick!

it's hard to describe, so go to the website and have a look!!

www.rentacoder.com

mattfacer.com

Old December 24th, 2002, 09:00 AM
Forum Security

Posts: 479 wAr-AnGeL User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 6 m 50 sec
Send a message via ICQ to wAr-AnGeL Send a message via AIM to wAr-AnGeL
thats a good concept, im gonna check it out

"Only Linux users see the end of crashes."
- Pl4t0

Old December 24th, 2002, 09:19 AM
The calm b4 the storm

it's actually really good!! I just posted a project for someone to finish a CMS I have made, and within about an hour, I had 4 people who made bids for it!
I have now selected someone, and he's starting after Christmas on it!!

Old December 24th, 2002, 07:25 PM
Absolut Bummer

Posts: 51 visualdensity User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Hmm... that sounds new to me! But I like it! Might get me some jobs when Im down!

Old January 2nd, 2003, 04:22 PM

Posts: 26 morefire User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Reputation Power: 0
Ive been visiting this site for a while, and from what ive seen as a developer perspective the general case is this: you find a project, place a bid. So do 70 or so other programmers, many of these from less developed countries & young people with no experience, so you will have projects worth £1000-£1500 being completed for £150. Which is great for the buyer, but bad for most bidders.

However, ive also come across another, elance.com they seem to be a bit of a larger company, and apply filtering so bidders cant bid exceptionally low on projects. So it keeps the big projects being big projects, ive seen many projects on there at £10-£20k, and also smaller ones that an individual could complete at anything between £200-£5000. But of course, you pay for the privilages.

Just my experience anyway..

Old January 4th, 2003, 08:25 PM
The calm b4 the storm

hey morefire...

I have to agree with you about the coding bids... you cant get anywhere unless you have some good ratings... I have a contact who is ranked number 9 out of the 34,000 or so registered members... and he gets work all the time...

I have a Zero rating, as I have not done any work... it's a no win situation until you get a few jobs!

I checked out that elance.com website, it looks really good.. like you say, more professional. I noticed you had to pay... so if you are really serious about getting projects, it's worth doing. Luckily I am still getting work from other sources, so I am not relying on RentACoder....

Cheers for the advice though!

Old January 4th, 2003, 10:22 PM

Posts: 26 morefire User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
hey fakker,

I agree, its just a battle getting started on there. Once you've landed a first project you would probably be ok, because you would have their rating, the top ten coders certainly seem to be doing very well.

Old January 8th, 2004, 03:14 AM

Posts: 7 Takereal User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Rent-A-Coder

> But of course, you pay for the privilages

Please, let me post my point of view.
Yes, no any projects for 4$ at eLance.
But you need to buy subscription:
"80 free bids per month (a $40 value)"

I am really dislike to pay just for getting a possibility to get a job.
I am very happy with Rent-A-Coder : I have 100+ completed projects in last year.
Here my brief history

--
Sergey.

Old January 8th, 2004, 08:41 AM
I'm Internet Famous
Dev Articles Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Posts: 2,886 MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Week 16 h 19 m 35 sec
Reputation Power: 18
I believe this sounds like a good idea gone bad...

I hope too many companies choose not to rely on something like this... its only going to hurt our industrty... companies will expect to pay next-to-nothing prices and they'll receive (in my opinion) half-assed jobs... excuse my biased opinion, but (as someone else pointed out), its a lot of young/new developers with little/no experience...

The companies themselves are likely (i assume) to be small companies who just don't know any better.... they likely don't realize that paying the extra buck and getting a proper consulting company will work out better in the long run...

After browsing the site, I noticed a lot of jobs that are paying under $100, and have 60 or so applicants.... as a developer, its not worth my hassel...

as a point of humour, three of the jobs on the page i'm looking at have articles/tutorials on Devarticles explaining exactly how to do what they've requested... perhaps someone should submit our site link =)

[just kidding, i don't advocate spam]

Old January 8th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Contributing User
Dev Articles Beginner (1000 - 1499 posts)

Posts: 1,355 dhouston User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Send a message via ICQ to dhouston
I agree, MadCowDzz, but I signed up anyway. I've got my filter set to look at only the larger jobs. People who want a whole SMS ad portal for a couple of hundred bucks don't merit a second glance, but somebody who knows at least that they're in the multiple thousands might be worth talking to (and educating further).

Thing is, you just can't bid low or you add to the devaluation of the industry. I can't help thinking that if companies see some higher bids up there, though, maybe they'll consider that old maxim that you get what you pay for and turn out to be educable.

Old January 8th, 2004, 12:46 PM
I'm Internet Famous
Dev Articles Frequenter (2500 - 2999 posts)

Posts: 2,886 MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level)MadCowDzz User rank is Lance Corporal (50 - 100 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 1 Week 16 h 19 m 35 sec
Reputation Power: 18
i'm interested to hear anyone who's finished a deal with a company via rent-a-coder... again, i think the concept is interesting and unique... guess i'm just skeptical...

how does the company pay you? i take it there's no one-on-one meetings, no scratch notes on bar napkins, and no face-to-face handshake/payment...

I guess all communication is through email?

Old January 8th, 2004, 02:40 PM

"Rent A Coder"

> how does the company pay you?

Company (i.e. software buyer) don’t pay me directly. Via “Rent A Coder” only. RAC take his profit, but in exchange I am 100% protected against bad guys who just post projects but never pay.
This system named «Safe Project Escrow».
If buyer just post bid request - he can do this for free.
But if buyer select the bid fitted most - he must escrow all payment before coder start coding.
But coder can’t touch this money before buyer accepts coder’s work.
Coder can get his own money via check(snail mail) or Western Union.
For today I receive 169 payments to my RAC account. I accumulate these payments and receive cash in my bank 3 times only.
You may say: "Hey, you payments so little!". This time - not big. But my rating grow and my appetite grow too :-)

> I guess all communication is through email?

Yes, via e-mail. Also – via MSN Messanger, Yahoo Messnger.
I prefer ICQ – very easy to save dialog for future reference.

But sometimes I prefer communicate via RentACoder.
If I have problem with buyer – I can ask about Arbitration.
If buyer has problem with me - he can ask about Arbitration too.
And Arbiter can read our correspondence(if we communicate via RAC). Read - and make right decision.
Rent A Coder is mediator. He never leave me one-to-one with my buyer. More about arbitration process

Old January 9th, 2004, 12:29 AM
May contain nuts.
Dev Articles Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Posts: 2,056 stumpy User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 5 h 44 m 22 sec
I'm glad you brought up the ruin-the-industry point MadCow... I was about to, then read your post. You nailed it. Imagine the unstable, insecure, inefficient crap that untrained, 15 year old coders must be producing for those rock-bottom prices. My thoughts are, that there'll be so much dodgey code produced that people will wake up and realise, as usual, you get what you pay for.

PS - Here's a little rant I read on the subject last year

Old January 9th, 2004, 01:08 AM

RentACoder: eBay for contractors?

> you get what you pay for.

As usual - if you pay much money - it's not guarantee better result.
These links on the subject too:
1. RentACoder: eBay for contractors?
2. «Wall Street Journal» - Hearing 'I Work Cheap' From Across the Globe

Old January 13th, 2004, 06:49 PM

Posts: 1 Dijkstra User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Hi MadCowDzz:

Quote:
Originally posted by MadCowDzz
i'm interested to hear anyone who's finished a deal with a company via rent-a-coder... again, i think the concept is interesting and unique... guess i'm just skeptical...

how does the company pay you? i take it there's no one-on-one meetings, no scratch notes on bar napkins, and no face-to-face handshake/payment...

I guess all communication is through email?

I just like to comment on this thread. I recently finished my last (and first) bid on Rent-A-Coder. After having finished, I am somewhat dissapointed. First of all, I though I was bidding for a fair amount ($1000 if you ask), but RAC keeps 15% off. Western Union also keeps a good amount (around $60 in my case) for the money transfer. And last but not least, the currency change ratio between dollar / euro is by far the worst of the last years... So I ended up with only about 500 €. (Euro).

I comment on this, because I couldn't agree most with the comments already posted. Rent-A-Coder is a GREAT idea for us all, but there are many unexperienced programmers out there which could win bids for the only reason of price.

In my job, 500 Euro (around $600) is a little price to pay. I usually earn this many euros in a few days (the RAC project took 3 months). However, I want to point out that there are excellent programmers out there which could do this job and agree to receive less payment. I am referring of course to programmers in those countries with a high dollar change ratio. We all are used to communicate via internet worldwide but we are usually unaware of the social situation for every individual. What I mean is that $1000 is not enough for me in Spain but this could be a great amount to pay to an individual living in Argentina, for example.

I my case, the comunication with the buyer was strictly via email. We didn't had even a phone conversation. However, I was very surprised with him. He was a very nice person to talk to.

Last, I already saw the comment on URL and I will appreciate further comments on companies like these.

Jose Miguel.
"Freelance with attitude"...

Old January 13th, 2004, 09:25 PM
Moderated

Posts: 49 manoloweb User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Reputation Power: 15
There's also a similar service in www.codelance.com

Not saying it's better than rent-a-coder, but it is another option for coders and buyers.

;-)

Old January 13th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Moderated

Posts: 49 manoloweb User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Reputation Power: 15
And regarding Takereal's point of view...

Yes, you can bet there's chances for you to get a bad code when paying 100 bucks for it, but if you pay attention on the coder's feedback, you can figure out who are you dealing with.

I've used the service both as a buyer and as a coder, and I was satisfied in both cases.

Once I was short in time to deliver one client's site, and needed one service ticket system for it. I gave a try to codelance, and got the script done for only 25 dollars. I can tell you, the script was just what I needed, and perfectly commented.

The other day I received an email with codelance's open projects, and one of them was related to develop an easy web based calendar with some functions. I already had a script doing that, which I use on my sites, so I asked 30 dollars for the job. I won the bid, commented the code, send it, and receive the payment. That simple. And I can tell you that my calendar code is very good, and it was exactly what the buyer wanted to be.

So... very low price scripts, but they were just what we needed. Isn't that fair?

I tell you, I would NEVER rely on this kind of services for a critical application, but sure will go back when I need something simple.

Anyway, I just don't see Cocacola, Mercedes Benz, Amazon or any other Fortune 500 company looking for applications in R.A.C or C.L.

That's just my $0.20

Old January 14th, 2004, 05:15 AM
The calm b4 the storm

I never thought this post would become so popular!

Since I posted the first thread waaay back in December 2002 (!!) Ive used RAC (Rent a Coder) a lot.

I dont use it for major developments - I write those myself ... there is nothing worse than trying to make out someone else's code - esp when there are over 10,000 lines or somthing!!

I use RAC mainly for quick short apps... such as art work. It doesnt need to be all coding... I get my logo's and a few graphics done using RAC "coders" .... the work is brilliant and reasonably priced.

Like everyone above has said, you do get what you pay for.

My opinion is that this site is brilliant for coders who do not have clients locally to rely on, but its a tough market to get in to... mainly becuase there is always someone that will do the job cheaper than you. But thats what you gotta do to get in .... I use people who have at least 2 or 3 reviews (ie: done at least 2 or 3 jobs already on RAC) - otherwise I wont touch them with a barge pole!!

Also, I am starting to ask for anyone who bids on my projects to have an instant messenger of some sort... that way I can keep up to date at all times. One coder didnt have, and I didnt hear from him for weeks.

Old January 14th, 2004, 05:54 AM

“any other Fortune 500 company” have enough money to hunt for employees, instead of “rent” or “hire” them. Let’s create perfect resume to become target for them

“I would NEVER rely on this kind of services for a critical application” and I don't want to place my bid for big project. Even if some buyer can give me 2 month work and pay my years salary for it. According my experience – this sort of project becomes end-less. Instead of 2 month – I get 6 months project, just because my buyer change his mind, forget important details, has holidays or has flu. To complete these sort of projects – buyer should be perfect project manager.

I would like to ask: how do you foresee future?
Every day many buyers go to dice or monster.com, pay to agency, etc.
Because they are have new projects, uncompleted task, new ideas and looking for new employees.
It would be great if they will spend some time on sites like RentACoder.com too.
At least – to outsource “something simple” projects.
It would be great if RentACoder.com becomes “dice and monters.com” for outsourcing.

RentACoder.com facilitate 4,283 completed projects in Dec 2003.

Old January 14th, 2004, 05:57 AM
May contain nuts.
Dev Articles Regular (2000 - 2499 posts)

Posts: 2,056 stumpy User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 5 h 44 m 22 sec
That page makes you look like you work for RAC, Takereal.

Old January 14th, 2004, 06:06 AM

OK - I delete paragraph and link.

Old April 8th, 2004, 10:52 AM

Posts: 2 Praveen Menon User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Another Coder working for RAC !

Well, i myself work with RentACoder, and i tell you, its great for both buyers and freelancers. See my link and beleive.

URL

Anyone need help on posting projects and picking coders, just tell !

PM

Old April 28th, 2004, 02:16 PM

Posts: 2 s360 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Well I'm on the other side of the fence. As a buyer that has a very small budget, I have no programming experience I need to use a company like this otherwise my project would never get off the ground. I'm trying to produce a CMS application that will manage my travel content. I've posted a spec on Rent a Coder and recieved reponses from $600-4800 most pricing has been 600- 900 with no credentials. Asking them for proof then gets interesting. I've had two people point me to sites that I can't contact someone. As a buyer I don't get a feeling of trust from anyone that has responded. So far about 10 people. If you search on rentacoder for PHP,MySQL,XML,CMS site posted Apr 26 you can see what my proposed site is about.

I'd be curious to hear any feedback, good, bad. Its all good.

Old April 28th, 2004, 03:37 PM

To s60:
If you want to here suggestion from coder with 305 completed projects, here it is:
1. Too long deadline(30 days) is best way to get uncompleted work. You may want to divide your auction into 3-4 short(not more than 1 week) auctions. And promise great bonus to coder who will complete all auctions.
2. You may want to visit list of Top Coders: http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACode...ompleteList.asp
and invite some coders with appropriate experience (PHP, mySQL, etc).
Please, look at link "Invite nickname to bid on one of my existing projects" in coder's profile.

Old April 28th, 2004, 03:53 PM

Posts: 2 s360 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Thanks for the suggestion but being that I'm not a programmer
breaking the project into 3-4 segments. I would not know where to begin breaking up what segments,
if i get three/four people working on this it could turn out to be a real mess. One person code doesn't work with anothers, so on and so on. Thanks for the suggestion but I probably in a world of frustration with that approch. I've had a people say it would take them anywhere from 14 days to 90 days.

I've already invited 10 or so people to bid the project but no reponses back yet 1+ days.

Old April 28th, 2004, 04:36 PM

> i get three/four people working on this

If you promise great bonus - _one_ coder can complete all auctions(all parts of whole system) step-by-step. "Greate bonus" is bait.

Old May 5th, 2004, 10:15 AM

Posts: 2 Praveen Menon User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
There are some important information for buyers provided by the site. The articles will definitely be a great help getting big projects get completed without making them a mess.

URL

This one in particular will be a great help.

URL

PM

Old December 2nd, 2004, 04:19 AM

Posts: 1 professordoktor User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Worth considering...

I came across this thread on a google search. It is a little old, but I thought I'd add my $0.02.

I'm an American graphic designer based in Atlanta. I do print, web and Flash work as well as a little writing. I've been on RAC for about 6 months and at this point and I must admit I make almost all my income off RAC or clients I've met through it. I've completed over 70 projects on the site. So, it IS possible for Western coders and designers to win jobs on the site, and there are many brilliant coders available, as well as clients who are willing to pay a fair rate.

I've worn both pairs of shoes, as a buyer and coder, and I've found persistence is the key.

As a "coder" (though I don't really code that much) I've been outbid plenty of times by shops in Asia and Eastern Europe, but the jobs I've won at a good price were from clients truly interested in quality over price, and therefore worth developing relationships with. Many of them were burned by non-Western or amateur coders (or programmers who think they can design) and are desperate to find someone who can deliver professional results. I am also helped somewhat by the fact there aren't many professional designers on RAC, so I can work from a competitive position. (Designers, this is your chance!) Design and writing are particular examples where, even if someone knows the language, cultural differences may make the product "not right." I am reminded of an Indian intern I once hired who was a great designer, but had a proclivity toward patterns and certain color schemes that didn't work for the American market.

At a certain point after enough projects I try to move off RAC and deal with a client through my own contract and payment methods, usually Paypal. Their processing fee is much smaller than RAC's

As a buyer, I've posted jobs several times over and gotten nothing but crap. Usually, either unimpressive portfolio links, bad qualifications or bids for prices way higher than I know the cost should be. (Though I'm not a programmer, I know just enough about what's involved to be able to call B.S.)

My advice would be:

CODERS, DESIGNERS AND WRITERS

Don't bid too high your first few times starting out. Be reasonable, but don't screw yourself over either. This obviously favors individuals (such as myself) to multi-employee shops with lots of overhead. If you're a big consultancy that charges over $100 an hour just to pay the bills, you probably shouldn't bother. Bid the rate you'll honestly need for the job, along with a detailed, broken-down estimate. It's okay to dictate installment payments as long as you spell out the milestones clearly. You just can't ask for payment upfront.

Load up your bio page with as much info as possible. Mine includes constantly updated screenshots of recent projects with a link to a portfolio site, as well as all my qualifications. Those qualifications and portfolio links are very important. Don't assume the client will take your word for it!

And, keep churning projects and avoid missed deadlines and arbitrations, for these will all count against your rating. Once your rating breaks into the two digits you'll suddenly find clients soliciting you for work.

As an aside, I should mention that if you're an American coder there seem to be two major types of clients that are very much worth pursuing, plus a minor third one:

1. Other Americans who would rather die a gory death than outsource their dollars to another country. Or, who need a VERY American interpretation.

2. Brits and Australians who want to take advantage of the exchange rate in their favor (kind of like we do with the Indians and Pakistanis, if you want perspective), but who want to maintain a level of synchronicity with their own similar cultures. I find these clients are particularly willing to pay for quality, since American labor costs peanuts, the aesthetic is similar, and everyday European design and marketing tends to be better than that in America, so they encourage innovation.

3. (minor) Eastern companies with enough money to burn that want a Western "look and feel," or want to sell to a Western audience. Many of the Eastern technology managers I've dealt with are Western-educated, so they are very savvy about the requirements of the marketplace, and know what they want.

BUYERS

If you don't succeed the first time (and your drop dead deadline doesn't run out), try, try again. There are over 91,000 registered coders on RAC at last count. Though many of these are one-timers and junk registrations, there should be plenty left that can meet your needs.

If you really need solid results, search the top 100 coders and solicit them directly for bid. There's a reason they are the top 100 out of almost 100,000. RAC does give you a good overview by which to judge coders. There are resumes and job experience listed in their bios, as well as a list of feedback ratings and comments for every job completed. Assess these carefully. Even if a coder isn't in the top 100 or 1,000, they may be new on the site but very much worth considering. Just be sure to quiz them thoroughly based on their bid.

Keep in mind, a coder in the top 100 may be very busy, with solicited jobs and such, which is why you should go to them rather than expect they bid on your job.

Also, post on Scriptlance, as well as the other sites listed on this thread. I've found they offer higher-quality bids, though RAC offers greater quantity. One or the other will give you what you need.

In closing, I do not work for RAC, though they are responsible for much of my livelihood. Takereal does offer a lot of good advice. And, I will plug myself for at least one line. If you need a good designer hit up http://www.rentacoder.com/RentACoder/SoftwareCoders/showBioInfo.asp?lngAuthorId=1197657! For Buyers and Coders, make sure you work fees and exchange rates into your quotes, and don't buy based solely on price in your currency! Yes, you do get what you pay for.

If we're all very adult about this and take all variables into account, RAC and other similar tools are extremely useful extensions of the net. They never told me I'd be making a living this way in design school!

Okay, that is all. I may x-post this because it took so long to write.

Old December 27th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Posts: 3 95h62gq02 User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 36 m 22 sec
Sites Resembling "Rent A Coder"

The generic term would be "reverse auction sites for coders/developers".

I posted a list of such sites in a subfolder of http://snipurl.com/rev_auc_cod
. I'd be interested in any further comments on any of the sites.

Last edited by 95h62gq02 : December 27th, 2004 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Retype intended content orig. dropped by forum site snafu.

Old December 29th, 2017, 04:08 AM

Posts: 2 SwGupta User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 15 m 7 sec
Apart from Rent a coder, there are several freelancing websites where you can post your job requirement get personalized bids.

Few of the websites are -

UpWork
Fiverr
Freelancer
FieldEngineer

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsCommunityThe Lizard Lounge > rent a coder...

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: