Web Server Configuration

Forums: » Register « |  User CP |  Games |  Calendar |  Members |  FAQs |  Sitemap |  Support | 

User Name:
Password:
Remember me

Go Back   Dev Articles Community ForumsWeb DesignWeb Server Configuration

Add This Thread To:
  Del.icio.us   Digg   Google   Spurl   Blink   Furl   Simpy   Y! MyWeb 

Unread Dev Articles Community Forums Sponsor:
Old April 25th, 2014, 03:56 AM
Dev Articles Newbie (0 - 499 posts)

Posts: 1 british_boxer User rank is Just a Lowly Private (1 - 20 Reputation Level) 
Time spent in forums: 15 m 47 sec
Reputation Power: 0
What do I enter for resolver,DNS and the following?

Hi

I have purchased an unmanaged web server (Virtual host) and I am configuring the server for I have 5 basic questions:

1. It is written I must use a (Fully Qualified Domain Name) for my hostname.

But what happens if I host multiple domains on this server?
Which (Fully Qualified Domain Name) do I Use?

2. resolver - Why do I need this? Isnt DNS enough?
I am promoted to enter the following:
Enter a primary resolver IP address into the Primary Resolver field.
and a secondary, third one.

3. For my contact us page, do I need to setup a names server, eg, ns1,ns2,ns3?

4. There is an option to setup ip addresses,
You will need at least one IP address to function as the primary IP address of your server. Without this IP address, visitors will not be able to access your server.

What is the advantage of setting up additional ip addresses on this one server?

5. In this option I am prompted to setup services, is this where I install LAMP (mysql,php) Wordpress, what is cPHulk?

This screen allows you to configure the services that you and your clients use on the server. To use the default settings, click Skip This Step and Use Default Settings at the top of the screen.

To configure an FTP server:
Select the FTP server software you wish to use, or keep FTP disabled. Review the information in the Advantages, Disadvantages, and Notes fields for more information about each option.
note Note: Anonymous FTP defaults to disabled and we do not recommend that you enable it.

To configure a mail server:
Select the mail server you wish to use, or disable mail. Review the information in the Advantages, Disadvantages, and Notes fields for more information about each option.
If you switch mail servers: If you wish to preserve settings for each mailbox as you migrate to the new mail server, select the Convert Mailbox Format checkbox. Deselect this checkbox to speed up the migration.
PICK Warning: If you deselect this box, you may lose your email settings.

Finally, select whether you wish to use cPHulk. cPHulk runs in the background of your server to protect it from brute force attacks.

6. Quotas - What is the purpose of these, do I need to set them up?

This is the final stage of the Initial Setup process. You will need to select whether you wish to track disk usage on your server. This is a good idea if you plan to lease server space to individual users. However, if you do not plan to host individual accounts on your server, you may not need to enable quotas.

Thanks In Advance

Kind Regards

British_Boxer

Viewing: Dev Articles Community ForumsWeb DesignWeb Server Configuration > What do I enter for resolver,DNS and the following?

Developer Shed Advertisers and Affiliates

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes  Rate This Thread 
Rate This Thread: